1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Apache OpenOffice 4.0

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Oscar Gamble, Jul 24, 2013.

1. Oscar Gamble

Oscar Gamble New Member

I'm thinking of buying an additional computer. Not a replacement for my present 6-month old laptop but an additional one. I know what I want but am debating whether I should spend the additional $119+ for Microsoft Office 2013 especially when Apache OpenOffice is available as a free download.

Anybody using Apache OpenOffice 4.0? How do you like it versus Microsoft Office? Do you recommend I save the money and just go with OpenOffice? Thanks.

2. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

I have used OpenOffice for a decade and have never had any problems. My needs are fairly basic. The only thing you have to consistently remember is to save everything as docs.

3. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

If you don't need anything too fancy, just basic word processing, spreadsheets, etc., you might be able to get by with Google Drive.

4. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

OpenOffice is the shiznit. Never pay a penny for word processor/spreadsheet/presentation software again. I've used it for just about as long as Versatile.

5. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

You could, but why should you? I know the advantages to Google Drive and use it myself for some things. But I find using a separate program gives you more options. And OpenOffice is free and doesn't take up much space.

I actually prefer OpenOffice to Microsoft Office, which we use at work. It's faster and has much better menus. It's ridiculous how obnoxious "Save as" is to find on the new Microsoft Office.

With all that said, I use OpenOffice 3.4 right now, but every time I've changed computers I've gone with the newest version, and every time they've improved the product. The same can't be said for Microsoft Office, an overpriced, mediocre product from a company that continues to lag behind.

6. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

I'll throw some love toward OpenOffice also. There are some things Excel does better, but unless you're an accountant or somebody else who uses Excel on a daily basis, you'll never notice.

7. Matt Stephens

Matt Stephens Well-Known Member

I haven't tried 4.0 (new computer came with Word Starter for free, so I didn't download anything extra), but before Oracle gave OpenOffice to Apache, I really liked it. Don't know if they've changed it much.

The one downside is templates built in Word don't always translate well, even if they're the same file type, but other than that, it's great.

8. Oscar Gamble

Oscar Gamble New Member

Thanks to all for the input. I've decided to try Apache OpenOffice 4.0. If I end up not liking I can always purchase the Microsoft Office 2013. Besides when you buy Microsoft Office 2013 at the same time you purchase a new computer it only saves you $20 off full retail. I'll gamble the $20 savings vs. a potential $120+ savings that OpenOffice will satisfy my needs.

Thanks again.

Draft saved Draft deleted