1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

AP: What the F'ing F??

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Starman, Jun 28, 2007.

1. shotglass

shotglass Guest

This shit bothers me from the wire service we depend on for professional writing.

Nothing to back up that he had a terrible year; no stats, nothing. We're just supposed to take their word for it in this straight news story. Very shoddy.

2. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

I hate, hate, hate, it when they refer to someone has having pitched XXXX strong innings in capsules without any stats to back it up. Makes me hostile.

3. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

To say nothing of their inappropriate use of Roman numerals.

4. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

You are a funny, funny man, MM, a funny, funny man.

Also on my dislike list -- the NASCAR heading above the agate for some of the other auto series.

5. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

How about the fact that the slugs on the IndyCar Series still say "IRL" despite the fact that the name of the series has changed? At least AP is getting it right in the actual stories, which obviously is more important.

6. Thank you da_man. When I read the Benoit story, I thought it was fair as well. I also thought the quote from the WWE lawyer was simply a quote to state WWE's position and that was fair, too. There were numerous other sources and I'm betting the police/investigators did not want to be quoted publicly since their investigation was ongoing. The writer definitely did not use the lawyer as the main source of the story. I sure didn't read it like he did. He pretty much buried it at the end.

I don't think anyone was trying to slant a story in any such way. The writer was somewhat handcuffed by exactly how much information he could get and from what perspectives. The only thing I see here is some people over-reacting and criticizing something that shouldn't be criticized.

I'm glad you saw it, too, becuase I was beginning to question myself until I read your post. So, again, thank you da_man.

7. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

The lead quote of the story was out of the WWE mouthpiece.

Credibility = zero.

You don't need to "represent all positions" in a news story, especially when one of the "positions" is being disseminated by an organization virtually synonymous with factual fabrication, and also with an obvious motive to preemptively spin the story to absolve itself of any possible responsibility.

8. I stand by what I said. Story is fine to me. Nobody is slanting anything here in an effort to put their own perspective into the story. You're just being critical.

Draft saved Draft deleted