1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"AP, we don't need you either." --Sincerely, Google

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by fishwrapper, Jan 11, 2010.

1. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

http://money.cnn.com/2010/01/11/news/companies/google_associated_press/

2. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

That's OK. They're just going to get all their news from the Internet.

3. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

The the Tabasco in the eye? Google gets to use the work of newspapers...which pay into, and are part of the Associated Press. The newspapers, which are not paid at all (except for fractions of mouse clicks), wonder why the hard work of journalists doesn't fit into any paradigm. This is fucked up on so many levels.

4. Babs

Babs Member

I'm glad people are finally standing up to Google. I had to work with them in another capacity a few years ago, and they wanted special treatment on just about everything. Like the rules don't apply to them. It's ridiculous.

5. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

Two questions:

1) Who becomes the first to stand up to google in a legal sense?

2) When does it happen, if it does?

A while back, I would have put my money on Murdoch, but he has yet to make his sites pay sites. So I'm not sure.

6. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I wish Google news would drop sites like examiner.com and fanhouse that don't do any actual reporting.

If you do a search, half the returns you get are from these sites, where they just type up what someone else is legitimately reporting.

And it's only going to get worse if they don't do something about it now.

7. WoodyWommack

WoodyWommack Member

Fanhouse does do actual reporting, a lot of former print people work there. I think you're thinking of Bleacher Report.

8. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

The AP isn't standing up to Google. Google has a deal where it hosted AP content. You'll still be able to find the same AP stories on newspaper Web sites through Google News.

It's not that big of a deal, since the same content can be found.

9. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

Google has some work to do. There are many sites (ehow.com comes to mind) that have become content farms and has cracked Google's algorithim better than anyone else. Now, when you search in "how to climb Mt. Everest" you get a bunch of crap at the top of the search from these farms, which make a killing off their lofty search status.

Google is doing very well, but they better keep evolving or their search engine is going to be full of turds and users will move on.

10. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Yes, Bleacher Report is what I'm thinking of.

11. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Don't put your stuff out there for free if you are going to complain when people take it for free.

Draft saved Draft deleted