1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

AP: Walken Talks About Natalie Wood On DC Sports Talk Station. Ooops, uh....

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Flying Headbutt, Nov 19, 2011.

1. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

This is absolutely stunning.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/style/christopher-walken-impression-on-dc-radio-gets-connected-to-natalie-wood-case/2011/11/18/gIQAEPOjZN_story.html

2. Emphasis added.

3. WolvEagle

WolvEagle Well-Known Member

Whoopsie!

4. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

It's getting a lot of run on the Natalie Wood thread:

http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/threads/87205/

You can hear the Walken impersonator on yesterday's Tony Kornheiser Show (skip ahead to about the 9:45 mark):

http://espn.go.com/espnradio/play?id=7250837

5. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

How is this possible? Who from AP was listening to this radio station and thought it was Christopher Walken? Why would he be on sports talk radio? I don't get it, and I'm 100 percent with the station chief.

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

This is what instant journalism gets you. It's a "scoop" these days to hurriedly report what someone says on the radio.

7. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

I don't expect this from AP, though. In some ways, I don't think AP should be rushing for scoops on anything, even if they were to turn out correct. Their accuracy is more important. Too many places pick them up.

8. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

I'm wondering how many Kornheiser listeners are just now discovering Nigel is a character and not actually British.

9. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

Next you'll tell me Reginald the Monkey doesn't really make football picks

10. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

Didn't Washington AP have an issue a couple of years ago where a reporter called an agent for a basketball coach -- and it wasn't the right guy? If I remember correctly, the reporter used the phone book and found a person with the same name as the agent. Then, the guy, figuring this was some joke, played along?

That was a tough one for the reporter. Don't know if it was the same guy, though.

11. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

Re: AP: Walken Talks About Natalie Wood On DC Sports Talk Station. Ooops, uh...

Wow. Just wow.

12. cortez

cortez Member

Joe White of the AP was listening, thought it was really Walken, and the rest is a debacle

Draft saved Draft deleted