1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

AP to the rescue

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Drip, Sep 29, 2008.

1. Drip

Drip Active Member

From Editor & Publisher

NEW YORK The Associated Press announced more than 500 newspapers are now part of its AP Member Marketplace -- an online exchange where members can look for and share stories, photos, and graphics -- since its launch in April.

Several newspapers in Florida, for example, are using Marketplace to swap stories with a local and regional focus. However, newspapers can also use it to create new content, like special sections.

http://www.editorandpublisher.com/eandp/news/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1003855969

2. joe_schmoe

joe_schmoe Active Member

and the point of this thread is....what, exactly?

3. Drip

Drip Active Member

Point?
    It's just some interesting information about the journalism industry that I'm passing on.
    If there is a point to be made, it could be kudos to AP's proactive approach to helping newspapers.

4. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Wyoming AP members have had access to something like this for a long time.

5. i guess different rules for different folks, such as drip.

6. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Every now and then, our colleagues here mystify me, and this is one of those times.

It's industry news, on the journalism topics board. What's the problem?

If you don't find it interesting, feel free to move on.

It actually caused me to wonder what it could mean in terms of content for a website like mine (probably not much).

7. Drip

Drip Active Member

For years, I believed that it was done in a lot of places. Apparently I was wrong. Here's hoping that the idea works.

8. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Content over design?

9. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

While it is a lazy post, I agree with SF... it's a piece on the industry and informative. Something good that AP does, instead of our bashing it, maybe it needs to be promoted.

10. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Well, as you should all know, I love my SportsJournalists.com brethren, all the way to the top.

But the "lazy post" business, well, I guess I agree to disagree with the honchos. Sometimes I find links that I think might be of interest to the board but don't have a particularly strong opinion about them myself. Or there's nothing left to add.

You know:

link to more layoffs story

"Hoo, boy, things are sure rough right now."

Information is valuable and helpful, and if the poster doesn't have anything particularly sparkling to add, I don't have a problem just being pointed to that information.

Draft saved Draft deleted