1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

AP - Temporary N.Carolina bureau opening

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Blitz, Feb 13, 2009.

1. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

Newsperson

The Associated Press seeks a temporary Newsperson for its Raleigh, North Carolina office.

This eighteen week assignment will provide coverage for the AP’s North Carolina bureau during the 2009 state legislative session. Based in Raleigh, this reporter will join our team covering the top general news stories in the region for a state, national and international audience through accurate, aggressive and thorough reporting, and strong and compelling writing.

QUALIFICATIONS

The ideal candidate must have demonstrated excellence as a reporter and writer of both spot news and enterprise. The applicant must show strong news judgment in recognizing and developing stories, work accurately and quickly under deadline, juggle multiple needs effectively, and work well with colleagues and news sources. He or she must be versatile and able to adapt to a fast-changing news environment and to report and write about a wide variety of topics. Applicants should be familiar with the deadline disciplines required for a wire service that operates around the clock. Candidates with some experience in daily journalism are preferred.

Founded in 1846, AP is the largest and oldest news organization in the world, serving as a source of news, photos, graphics, audio and video for more than one billion people a day. AP has more than 4,000 employees working in more than 240 bureaus worldwide.

Sound interesting? Click on:
    https://careers.ap.org/viewjob.html?erjob=13703&eresc=ERNOTIFY

Reference Job ID: Rale0209001

2. Precious Roy

Precious Roy Active Member

I hope this is not Aaron Beard's position, and if it is I hope that he's doing well.

3. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Saw Beard's byline on a story that moved today. This job looks more news-oriented - does Aaron do news or just sports?

4. Precious Roy

Precious Roy Active Member

I think Aaron does sports only, but I think he does some news at times if it has a sports connection.

5. accguy

accguy Member

Most (or at least many) AP bureaus hire temporary people for different times of the year. Sometimes it is to help in the bureau when another reporter is assigned to something like the state legislature. Sometimes it is because someone is on maternity leave.

This would be good for someone right out of school (or out of work) as it is a temporary gig. Budget very well may be for the bottom of the pay scale and they might not hire someone with tons of experience.

I'll say this about the AP. It might not be the most fun you will ever have. It might not always be glamourous. But you will learn a lot. A lot.

6. Drip

Drip Active Member

And I might add you will be working like a rented mule.

7. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

I worked for AP in the early 90s as a editorial assistant.
    I did a lot of work that was necessary in the pre-Internet, pre-cell phone era.
    There was an intern or two that came thru there and they usually got plum assignments, with not all that much asked of them.

This isn't exactly an "intern" gig, but it's labeling makes it seem close.

Draft saved Draft deleted