1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

AP: Ted Kennedy has a malignant brain tumor

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Chi City 81, May 20, 2008.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Yes, the tumor leads to the seizure.

2. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

I would say that the Republicans should stop all spending for the presidential election now and save for 2012.

The image of Kennedy delivering one final, gripping oratory at the convention will be the mother of all bumps.

3. GoDeacs

GoDeacs New Member

If you or anyone close to you has been affected by cancer, you know this much: Mr. Kennedy and his family are in the midst of a horrible time, and it sounds like there's not really a good reason for optimism. I pray for remission or cure, or at the very least, comfort for him and his.

My 74-year-old father was diagnosed with advanced colon cancer in May 2007 and died six weeks later. The progression from diagnosis to death was just staggering. I never had seen cancer up close until then, and I hope I never have to see it again. It is an agonizing way to go.

4. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

If he lasts that long. I'm not trying to be ghoulish but the body language on some of the Dem leaders on TV yesterday wasn't encouraging. You'd like to think he'd battle this and hang on for a few years but I'm starting to think he won't be around long.

5. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

average is 18 months....

Of course, that said, he already had what sounds like a grand mal seizure because of it.

The losses that family has incurred are just staggering to ponder.

6. bostonbred

bostonbred Guest

Just terrible news.

My thoughts and prayers are with Massachusett's finest right now. Having grown up in the Boston area, the family is beloved and hearing this news is tragic. My family back home is devastated.

7. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

I believe Simon was referring to the 2008 convention. :)

I think Kennedy's got a good chance to make it to this year's convention, which will probably be his last public appearance. He'll rally the troops around an Obama-Edwards ticket.

Prayers going out for Kennedy and the extended family.

8. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

If Sen. Kennedy doesn't overplay the hand, there (those in attendance will carry that ball), such a speech would have a considerable, sustained effect.

9. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

You never do.

My mother lasted 2 1/2 years -- and this was in the late 60s, early 70s. My father-in-law lasted barely three months when he died in 2002.

10. markvid

markvid Guest

MSNBC treated us today to chopper shots of Kennedy sitting on his porch in Hyannisport.
    That poor man has no idea of the ghoulish behavior he's in for.

11. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

You're right. And that's disgusting.

I'd love to see him start wandering around acting like Junior Soprano for a few weeks then call a press conference and give them the verbal finger for following him around just to fuck with hearse-chasers that will be stalking him from this point forward. Fucking assholes.

12. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

Simon_Cowbell made reference to one of Sen. Kennedy's great eulogies, for his brother, Robert F. Kennedy, on June 8, 1968.

Here it is, well worth reading, or listening to, again via a link with both text and audio as provided by the John F. Kennedy Presidential Library & Museum.

http://www.jfklibrary.org/Historical+Resources/Archives/Reference+Desk/Speeches/EMK/Tribute+to+Senator+Robert+F.+Kennedy.htm

Then, for added pleasure (and I mean that in the best way possible) and added significance, there was also this beautiful eulogy for Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis on May 23, 1994:

http://www.jfklibrary.org/Historical+Resources/Archives/Reference+Desk/Edward+M.+Kennedy%E2%80%99s+eulogy+for+Jacqueline+Kennedy+Onassis.htm

And then, yet another amazing, heartbreaking and memorable one, from July 23, 1999, in honor of a nephew who was obviously well-loved by the senator.

http://www.jfklibrary.org/Historical+Resources/Archives/Reference+Desk/Speeches/EMK/Tribute+to+John+F.+Kennedy+Junior.htm

And, then, there's this one, from the 1980 Democratic National Convention on Aug. 12, 1980, when Sen. Kennedy almost stole the show from presidential nominee Jimmy Carter:

http://www.jfklibrary.org/Historical+Resources/Archives/Reference+Desk/Speeches/EMK/Address+to+the+Democratic+National+Convention.htm

Amazing stuff, all of it worth reading, and if you were around at the time, all well worth remembering.

I think these speeches really let you see the values of Edward M. Kennedy, the man, and they're inspiring, as well as very human, in ways as revealing and just as good as his faults and failings are bad.

I wouldn't wish what's happening with this family now on anyone. But then, there are lots of things that have happened to this family that I wouldn't wish on anyone.

Draft saved Draft deleted