1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

AP: Ted Kennedy has a malignant brain tumor

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Chi City 81, May 20, 2008.

1. markvid

markvid Guest

One way to treat a brain tumor...they tried this on my dad, but it came back.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gamma_knife

2. crimsonace

crimsonace Well-Known Member

I have never agreed with Teddy politically, but my thoughts and prayers are with him & his family.

Nobody should have to go through this.

3. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

They also did that for Alicia Parlette, formerly of the San Francisco Chronicle.

She hasn't written anything on her blog at the Chronicle's site in a while, though. :-\

4. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

One more tragic development for a family so often touched by tragedy.

A sad day, whichever side of the aisle you inhabit.

5. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

The guys on MSNBC said one of Ted's nieces said it was inoperable. I missed the most of the segment though.

6. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Damn.

7. JBHawkEye

JBHawkEye Well-Known Member

This was the AP story someone referred to earlier.

WASHINGTON - A malignant glioma — the diagnosis doctors gave Sen. Edward M. Kennedy — is the worst kind of brain cancer. Malignant gliomas strike almost 9,000 Americans a year. Survival statistics are grim — few live three years and for the worst subtype, half die within a year.

Who lasts longer — and some do — depends on exactly what form of glioma someone has, whether surgeons can cut most of it out, age and some other medical details.

Kennedy's doctors didn't mention surgery, suggesting that may not be a possibility for him.

"As a general rule, at 76, without the ability to do a surgical resection, as kind of a ballpark figure you're probably looking at a survival of less than a year," said Dr. Keith Black, chairman of neurosurgery at Cedars-Sinai Medical Center.

On the plus side, scientists are studying new approaches — adding a drug called Avastin to standard treatment, or even brewing up customized vaccines to help the body fight back. While they're still experimental, many glioma experts advise newly diagnosed patients to seek out specialized cancer centers and ask if they're a good candidate for a research study up front.

"Considering how poorly they do despite standard treatment, it is always best to seek a clinical trial," said Dr. Deepa Subramaniam, director of the brain tumor center at Georgetown University's Lombardi Comprehensive Cancer Center. "They are not likely to do worse."

Kennedy was hospitalized Saturday after a seizure. Tuesday, doctors at Massachusetts General Hospital announced the reason, a malignant glioma in his left parietal lobe, a brain region that governs sensation but also plays some role in movement and language. Doctors were awaiting further tests before choosing treatment, but they cited radiation and chemotherapy as the usual approach.

Kennedy's age and the mention of upfront chemotherapy mean the glioma is almost certainly one of the two worst forms: a glioblastoma — the fastest-killing brain tumor, known for claiming entertainer Ethel Merman and Republican political strategist Lee Atwater — or the only somewhat less aggressive anaplastic astrocytoma, Subramaniam said.

Malignant glioma "usually is a synonym for a glioblastoma," agreed Dr. Robert Laureno, neurology chairman at Washington Hospital Center in the nation's capital.

The American Cancer Society puts the five-year survival rate for patients over age 45 at 16 percent for those with anaplastic astrocytomas, and 2 percent or less for those with glioblastomas.

8. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

That sucks.

All my best to Sen. Kennedy.

9. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I had one friend make it five years, four of them mostly good. Another didn't make it nine months and it was awful. You never know with that evil shit.

10. DocTalk

DocTalk Active Member

Location of the tumor in the brain often decides whether it is operative. If the tumor sits near speech centers, removal may cause significant issues with post op ability to understand language or speak.

Glioblastoma survival is poor and many times the goal is palliation to provide quality rather than quantity iof life.

11. bagelchick

bagelchick Active Member

I just don't understand how you can have a seizure then all of a sudden have a malignant brain tumor.

Awful.

12. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

One usually leads to the other...

Draft saved Draft deleted