1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

AP switch -- state names will now be spelled out

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by MileHigh, Apr 23, 2014.

1. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Same here.

What's especially grating about this change is they abbreviate state names with cities mentioned in AP cutlines, but write them out in the story.

As a copy editor, differences between how things appear in stories and cutlines (especially names) might be my No. 1 pet peeve.

2. fossywriter8

fossywriter8 Well-Known Member

2005? I wish my mine was that up to date.

3. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

This will require copy editors to learn the names of all 50 states. Hint: Eight of them start with M, so no more excuses for mixing up MA, MD, ME, MI, MO, MN, MS, MT

4. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

We don't use the two-letter abbreviations anyway. Question is how many will still mix up Cal. and Calif.

5. Bradley Guire

Bradley Guire Well-Known Member

I love this.

And is either Carolina allowed to be identified as Cackalacky yet? Norf or Souf?

6. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Paris, Kentucky, is mad at you.

7. lantaur

lantaur Well-Known Member

In no way do I endorse this statement or the ludicrous style. Anyway, from an AP style chat on Twitter today:

AP Stylebook @APStylebook
    The state names guidance provides clarity and consistency for readers by avoiding abbreviations that may not be known by all. #APStyleChat

8. MNgremlin

MNgremlin Active Member

Thankfully in our area, the main states we have to worry about outside our own (which we never include in copy) are Iowa and S.D. Easy enough to "avoid abbreviations that may not be known by all". If those abbreviations aren't known, we have bigger issues.

9. SellOut

SellOut Member

If you don't think this move was strictly about not having to pay someone to go through domestic copy and edit it for overseas markets (where the state names are spelled out in full) then I don't know what to tell ya.

10. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Once again, any changes to AP "style" is to justify a person's job/paycheck. Or, actually, a committee's jobs/paychecks.

Draft saved Draft deleted