1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

AP stylebooks

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Clever username, May 11, 2007.

1. Cadet

Cadet Guest

What about the AP Punctuation book? I've had my eye on that for a while... is it worth it?

2. MacDaddy

MacDaddy Active Member

Internet
    Capitalize the name for this series of tube that's just a fad and will never catch on.

3. Good point. I'll have to look through it and see what else is extremely outdated.

4. I've actually wondered why no one does that anymore ;D

5. Clever username

Clever username Active Member

You memorized the whole thing? Every single entry? Nor'easter is capitalized? Or is it not?

Shortstop, spelling out road no matter what and New Orleans standing alone in a dateline are three things, the proper spelling of Mercurochrome is another. And what happens when there are updates? That was my point. What if this shit changes?

6. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

And let's not forget daylight saving time, which changed earlier this year.

7. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

I always like the list of cities that stand alone in datelines. Always liked the idea of different cities on the bubble lobbying AP each year, sending fruit baskets to key committee members hoping they can gain the prominence that only comes with a stateless dateline.

8. MacDaddy

MacDaddy Active Member

And when they get it they put it on the signs leading into town:

Welcome to
    HARTFORD
    Stands alone in datelines
    Yep, I'm a dork.

9. MonitorLizard

MonitorLizard Member

Baghdad finally got standalone (stand-alone? stand alone?) status. Who says there's not progress being made over there?

Draft saved Draft deleted