1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

AP Stylebook

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Matt L., Mar 4, 2008.

1. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

AP Stylebook prefers being the big spoon.

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Reuters Stylebook maybe. AP ain't that desperate.

3. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I can't seem to find my style book. I swear it was here at 10 a.m. Fudge.

Hey, look: Juiced is still on the shelf. ...

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

The streak continues unabated ....

5. brendo44

brendo44 New Member

When I started working in TV I asked my news director if they followed AP style, or if there was a supplement I could look through.

The ND said we don't use AP, he's not sure if there's a style supplement, and that they don't own a style guide.
    Just look at back scripts and follow what they do.....and don't change anything.

And normally TV is so well respected for attention to detail.....

6. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Ever since I got into the habit of using AP style on papers, articles, letters to friends, etc., it's bothered the hell out of me that television stations don't follow it; no a.m./p.m., 12 p.m., NY. ...

I know they don't follow it or even have a need for it -- or so I've been told -- but it still bothers me. But I say the same about any yahoo who says "over 500 people ..." so it's my problem and not theirs.

7. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Wow, Mikey's as much of a style nerd as I am. Go figure.

8. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Seriously, dude. It cost me letter grades in my college English classes, and I was OK with the sacrifice.

9. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Matt, simply put, I've been doing this approaching 31 years and still look at my AP stylebook about five times a day. It tells you how to write words right for newspapers (and now online). You'll figure out how to use it.

10. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Man, that's extreme.

11. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Looking back, it was. But at the time, it helped drive the style home, and I still go over it every time I write -- anything. I'm sure the post office looks at my letters and says, "Why the fuck is this asshole putting a lowercase A in Pennsylvania? For four years, this fuck has been driving us bananas. The nerve. Let's bomb his house." But I'm OK with it because I know my style.

12. Jeremy Goodwin

Jeremy Goodwin Active Member

Matt L.,
    the b in bible is lowercased because of AP style. That is just one think you'd learn from the AP Stylebook. The B in Bible is only capitalized when referring to the religious book, when you use it in other cases the b is down, such as in Mike's example.

What's up with the new cover on this year's book? I've bought the past four or five before this year and the cover was the same, minus the color changes. Now the whole cover is different.

Draft saved Draft deleted