1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

AP style question: CAtholics

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by FuerteJ, Oct 31, 2007.

1. FuerteJ

FuerteJ Active Member

OK, so I'm quoting the principal of a catholic school.

He signs his letters: Fr. Mike Conway, SDB

How do I quote him on first ref?

Father Mike Conway of the Salesians of Don Bosco group/tribe/etc (I'm Jewish. I've got no idea what this is)

or

Father Mike Conway

2. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

I've never seen the first option in a newspaper, so my inclination would be to go with the second.

Maybe somebody who has experience writing on religion knows better, but for a sports story I'd just go with Father so and so.

3. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

The ordained order usually isn't relevant in a story, so I'd just leave it as "Father Joe Doe said " ...

4. FuerteJ

FuerteJ Active Member

Thanks. That's what I figured, but I've never dealt with this. Never actually written anything quoting a Father.

5. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Now if you're writing a story on declining priesthood and the Salesians of Don Bosco are saying they are seeing an influx of new candidates for the priesthood, then it becomes relevant.

6. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Generally, you leave out the order and Father is good nuff...

And you're Druish? {and spaceballs jack we go...}

7. Clever username

Clever username Active Member

From the AP Stylebook:

Father Use the Rev. in first reference before the names of Episcopal, Orthdox and Roman Catholic priests. Use Father before a name only in direct quotations.

8. FuerteJ

FuerteJ Active Member

Funny, you don't look Druish.

And thanks Clever username. I can't find my AP style book.

9. Gold

Gold Active Member

the initials after a priest's name or a nun's name, when used, refer to the religious order they belong to. Catholic priests go to a seminary to learn how to become a priest. Some priests work directly for a diocese, while others belong to religious order. The Salesians were founded by Don Bosco, and their mission seems to be working with youth. They were started in the 1800s. Other orders are the Jesuits, the Franciscans, the Dominicans, the Sisters of Charity, and a whole bunch of other orders. They are all Catholics, but the orders have different rules and most of these folks take a vow of poverty.

10. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Is "Mackeral Snappers" capitalized, or not?

11. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

[/quote]
    The initials are not used except in internal Catholic Church publications. The distinctions are irrelevant to anyone outside the church and to most people IN the church.

Back to the original question: Catholic priests are referred to as "The Rev. Joe Schmoe."

My best journalism teacher (my dad) said, "as far as we know, Catholic priests aren't really supposed to be anyone's 'father.' "

12. Yes.
    So is "Crossback."

Draft saved Draft deleted