1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

AP story on UNC-GTOWN

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by ned racine, Mar 25, 2007.

1. ned racine

ned racine Member

maybe it was just espn.com..but the AP early story on this game was awful..

http://scores.espn.go.com/ncb/recap?gameId=274000030

jordans shot did not end the game in 82..did you ever hear of freddy brown....and the writing was lame too....ok,maybe i am too harsh...nice choke job heels

2. Moland Spring

Moland Spring Member

Minus the factual error on Jordan's shot, it was really good. Especially for an AP story. What's wrong with it?

3. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

So this time, there would be no game-winning shot for the Tar Heels a la 1982, when freshman Michael Jordan's 17-foot jumper with 17 seconds left ended one of the most thrilling games in college basketball history and lifted Carolina over Georgetown 63-62 for the national championship.

Even with the word "ended" in there, I think the bold section makes it clear the shot didn't "end" the game. It could have been worded better, but ...

4. ned racine

ned racine Member

ok...i surrender.....but the original one i saw was not as concise as the updated version that appears here......sorry...go back to important stuff...

5. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

What's more important than disagreeing with you for sport? ;D

OK. You win (by surrendering).

6. SoSueMe

SoSueMe Active Member

Consider yourselves lucky. The piece we had up here in Canada had no quotes and was about 300 words.

Yet we had access to the thousands of words of analysis and capsules previewing the Final Four. I had nowhere to put that, but would have liked something on an overtime game that featured a huge comeback and sent a team to the Final Four.

7. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

Never mind that the first 29-inch version of the story doesn't even mention Jonathon Wallace's 3-pointer that sent the game into overtime. You'd think that they'd slip that fact into one of those 29 inches. It made the later stories.

8. That's likely because, evidence strongly shows, that Canadians don't care about the NCAA tournament. Outside of, you know, gamblers.

Draft saved Draft deleted