1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

AP story on Chris Henry funeral

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by mediaguy, Dec 23, 2009.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Is it possible to disagree with someone without name calling? Just a simple question that I don't wish to see answered on this thread. Just think about it and carry on. I'm trying to make this a lock-free Christmas week. Not sure I'll be successful.

2. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

"Why Don't We Do It In The Road"

3. Double J

Double J Active Member

I was already taking the express train to hell, so I figure there's no additional harm done in laughing at the jokes. :D

Exactly. The Darwin Awards selection committee needs to be all over this case, if they aren't already.

4. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Respect? Yeah. Because he was such a respectful and respectable young fellow.

5. Bodie_Broadus

Bodie_Broadus Active Member

Saw that post coming.

YF, were you friends with him? I am curious, cause you seem to be pretty eager to pass judgment on him. I didn't know the man, so I am not sure he wasn't respectful. No doubt he made some bad decisions, but, I don't wish death on Henry. He didn't deserve to die so young.

6. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Bodie, I don't think any of us wish death on him, or most anyone.
    That said, he did set himself up to be the butt of many jokes. Living or dead.
    It's also a sad fact that gallows humor rears its head more often in journalism than elsewhere.
    Don't particpate, that's your choice and probably a better choice. But don't let it bother you so much.

I saw him play a number of times. Guy was a hell of a talent. It is a shame he died so damn young.

7. fishhack2009

fishhack2009 Active Member

Some people apparently don't practice what they preach. Isn't the Christmas story supposed to be all about redemption?

None of us are qualified to pass judgment on Chris Henry's brief, troubled life. May he rest in peace, and may the rest of us work on our own failings instead of getting a cheap laugh at a dead man's expense.

8. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Only The Good Die Young

9. YankeeFan

Seems to me that he died as he lived.

And when someone with so few redeeming values dies a stupid death, I'm not going to feel bad about people laughing at him.

10. fishhack2009

fishhack2009 Active Member

Now THERE'S a winning attitude. Must be nice to be so perfect and beyond reproach, huh?

*blue font off*

No matter how Chris Henry lived and died, he had people who loved and will miss him. ... especially a little girl.

11. Bodie_Broadus

Bodie_Broadus Active Member

YF is beyond reproach. He gets to judge people all he wants.

12. YankeeFan

It's not a judgement, it's a basic observation.

Draft saved Draft deleted