1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

AP story on Chris Henry funeral

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by mediaguy, Dec 23, 2009.

1. Bodie_Broadus

Bodie_Broadus Active Member

See.

2. fishhack2009

fishhack2009 Active Member

Being young and a father, he left a young child behind who will now grow up fatherless. Regardless of the circumstances of his death, that adds to the tragic nature.

It really isn't that hard.

3. BYH

BYH Active Member

Never been in a newsroom, Bodie?

Spare me the sanctimony and violin strumming for someone who dies of a horrible disease, or, you know, not someone who played Russian Roulette with his life, career and family.

4. Bodie_Broadus

I have been in a newsroom. I got thrown out on my ass.

I just don't think joking about a guy who made some mistakes is a nice thing to do. BYH, I have very little beef with you and if you know me (which you do) all is cool. I just think Boom is being a pretty big douche.

5. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Not to be confused with John Bonham - Stairway to Heaven.

6. BYH

BYH Active Member

I guess we'll agree to disagree, and as someone on his ass, I hope you land on your feet soon.

7. Bodie_Broadus

I'm getting there. Long road back.

8. Boom_70

The Long and Winding Road - Paul McCartney.

9. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Fair enough. I'm just tired of people making Henry out to be things that he wasn't just because he died. He wasn't a good guy. Not getting arrested for a year wasn't proof that he had turned his life around. And in the end, died doing something stupid. The real tragedy is his kids having to grow up without a father, even one who had behaved like an idiot most of his life, and it was his own fault that he won't be there for them. I don't think his death was funny, but the way he threw away his life pisses me off.

10. Boom_70

Maybe Henry should have thought about his kids after 1st or 2nd arrest:

On December 15, 2005, Henry was pulled over in northern Kentucky for speeding. During a search, marijuana was found in his shoes. He was also driving without a valid driver's license or valid insurance.[19] He pleaded guilty and avoided a jail sentence.

One month later, on January 30, 2006 he was arrested in Orlando, Florida for multiple gun charges including concealment and aggravated assault with a firearm.[20] He was reported to have been wearing his #15 Bengals jersey at the time of his arrest. He pleaded guilty to this charge and avoided jail time.

On April 29, Henry allowed three underage females (ages 18, 16 and 15) to consume alcohol at a hotel in Covington, Kentucky.[21] One of the three, an 18-year-old woman, accused Henry of sexually assaulting her; she later retracted her story and was charged with filing a false police report.[22] On January 25, 2007, Henry pleaded guilty to a misdemeanor violation of a city ordinance commonly referred to as a "keg law." He was sentenced to 90 days in jail, with all but two of those days being suspended.[21]

He was pulled over on Interstate 275 in Ohio on June 3 at 1:18 A.M. by Ohio Highway Patrol trooper Michael Shimko for surmised drunk driving. He voluntarily submitted to a breathalyzer test at 2:06 A.M. at the Milford Police Department and registered a .092 blood-alcohol level, .012 above the level permitted in the state of Ohio.[23]

On October 6, he was suspended by the NFL for two games for violating the league's personal conduct and substance abuse policies. NFL policies forbade Henry from taking part in practices, however, he was allowed to attend any team meetings. Henry missed the Bengals' October 15, 2006 game at Tampa Bay and their October 22, 2006 home game versus Carolina.[24]

The following April, Henry was suspended for the first eight games of the 2007 NFL season for violations of the NFL's personal conduct policy.[12] His suspension on the 10th came with a stern warning that future misconduct may result in the end of his career with the NFL. Henry was given permission by NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell to begin practicing fully.[25] His suspension was lifted and he played in the November 11, 2007 game versus the Baltimore Ravens, amassing 4 catches for 99 yards.

Henry allegedly assaulted a valet attendant at Newport on the Levee in Newport, Kentucky on November 6, 2007.[26] He was arrested for a second time in Orlando on December 3 for violating his probation he was on from a January 30, 2006 arrest. On February 21, 2008, he was found not guilty.

On March 31, 2008, Henry punched a man named Gregory Meyer, 18, and threw a beer bottle through the window of his car. Henry claimed it was a case of mistaken identity and also that he thought it was somebody else that owed him money.[27] Henry was waived by the Bengals a day after this arrest and was then served a house arrest sentence.

11. Bodie_Broadus

Not clever.

12. Trouser_Buddah

Trouser_Buddah Active Member

Sigh...

Draft saved Draft deleted