1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

AP state bureaus and preps

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Mooninite, Nov 9, 2007.

1. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

When did the Louisville bureau stop coordinating the All-State football and basketball teams?

2. times38

times38 Member

I'm in Alabama and all I've ever seen is a run of the ASWA Poll, Friday night football scores and playoff pairings.

Mississippi did almost nothing except running the polls, while Louisiana actually did a pretty good bit.

3. Central-KY-Kid

Central-KY-Kid Well-Known Member

You're right. I accidentally left those off. The AP does All-State football and basketball teams (and we use coaches' association teams for the other sports).

4. OtterGrad

OtterGrad Member

Considering Tennessee has only three major-league teams, I would nominate the state's AP for being the worst in this respect.

- We get scores, which they lift from the TSSAA site, on Football Friday.
    - And six-inch game stories on the title games for football and basketball. No agate. No playoff skeds.
    - No photos, even though their office is a half-hour from where everything is played.
    - I don't remember any non-football or hoops anything.

Fortunately, the state writers' association is pretty strong and does a good job with all-state stuff.

The state isn't as preps-mad as others, but it's still somewhat of a big deal here. We get both Ky and Tn wires, and the difference is amazing. And having worked in Ohio, it's amazing what they did back in the 1990s compared to what Tenn AP gives us today.

Draft saved Draft deleted