1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

AP state bureaus and preps

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Mooninite, Nov 9, 2007.

1. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

We get scores, and phone calls right at deadline looking for scores even though we've already e-mailed them our scores.

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

If Alabama does a player of the week, it lifts it from the Sports Writers Association.
    AP in Alabama doesn't do dick.
    Football scores, but no basketball because it doesn't deem them important. In fact no other scores of anykind except at the state finals level (cept for basketball which puts semifinals at the same spot at the same time)
    Michigan far better. Football and basketball scores; all-state team in both; poll in both. Short gamers from the semis on in hockey, football, basketball, baseball and softball.

3. Central-KY-Kid

Central-KY-Kid Well-Known Member

Kentucky doesn't do much.

Hoops: Weekly polls, nightly scores
    FBAL: Weekly polls, Top-10 fared, nightly scores

recaps, photos, boxes from all state tourney bball games and all state final fbal games

other sports get nothing

The good thing for us is the state association's web site, www.khsaa.org, is one of the best in the country when it comes to timely cut-and-paste results

4. John Newsom

John Newsom Member

Wow! I'm stunned. If you use that stuff, by all means push (hard) to keep it coming.

In North Carolina, we get:
    * weekly high school football poll (but no basketball - go figure)
    * all-state teams/player/coach of the year in football and boys/girls basketball
    * a few photos off the eight state championship football games - short stories, too, I think.
    * Friday night football scores (regular season and playoffs)

There might be more, but not much. The AP staff we have is heavily invested in pro and college sports, and the NCHSAA does a pretty decent job of sending out text and agate on state championships.

5. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

In NJ, the AP usually sends out a list of all the high school football scores in the state on Friday and Saturday nights.

At the end of most sports seasons (boys & girls soccer, field hockey, football, boys & girls basketball, softball, baseball, and maybe one other spring sport), an AP writer at one paper will have everyone meet in a central location to pick the AP All-State team. Since there are more newspapers in the northern part of the state, the players from that part of the state tend to dominate the teams.

Plus they do little 3-4 graph writeups on every state final in nearly every sport

6. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

If I remember right, Michigan also does agate for almost every MHSAA state tournament (cross country, swimming, etc).

7. azom

azom Member

FWIW, in Wyoming, we get:
    --Football scores
    --Basketball scores
    --10-inch story from each state basketball championship game (which we don't use anyway because we staff those)
    That's it. Certainly no photos or agate.

8. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Yes... easiest 100 bucks I used to make was two hours at the state swim meet at either UM or EMU typing agate for a meet I was going to be at anyway....

9. Jack Shit. We're lucky to get a list of varsity football scores every Friday.

10. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

AP usually gets about 75 percent of high school football scores in Texas. We scour the Web for the rest and have the updated district standings (and local playoff pairings) usually done before 1:30 a.m.

Of course, AP relies on reports from member papers, which in turn rely on calls from coaches if games aren't staffed.

I'm personally ticked that TexasTrack.com went to subscription-only. For CC and track, they used to be awesome.

And Gola, we don't sweat the last-name, comma, first-name thing. That's how they turn it in — that's how it gets run. As long as the names are spelled right.

11. Angola!

Angola! Guest

I guess we will see today if AP pushes state cross country agate. I'm guessing no.

12. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

New Orleans had a guy who worked with the Picayune down there and also supplied AP bureau with weekly stats leaders.
    He kept on top of it pretty good back in the 90s.
    Don't know if he's still doing it, though.
    Maybe his name was Drake.?

Draft saved Draft deleted