1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

AP staffers shun self-improvement, push for "fair contract"

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Decadent, May 15, 2014.

1. Decadent

Decadent New Member

Having AP photos is better than not having them. But the delivery system for that has been clunky for a long time. I don't understand why they can't recommend the best stuff MORE OFTEN (capping that to head off the inevitable citing of one time as counterproof), rather than just dumping a whole pile of stuff in at the same time. Also, as more papers shun editing, it's a giant pain in the ass to decipher and translate all the language issues that come with the photos.

2. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

ESPN does a lot of good work, actually. It also produces sewage.

3. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

The result of management decisions.

4. beanpole

beanpole Member

This is probably the stupidest thing I've read here. Jesus.

AP service sucks because AP management butchered its staffing levels. States that used to have 3-4 technicians now have one shared among several states. States that used to have 6-7 reporters now have 2 or 3 to handle a 24-hour report.

AP staffers are being ordered to produce more copy because they've been told to do the fabled "more with less." They are under tremendous pressure from their bosses because they still have to be the "gold standard" of journalism but their workloads have doubled. Bureaus are gutted, but they still have to provide the same level of service so more newspapers don't drop their contracts.

Do you honestly think that AP reporters haven't suffered along with the rest of the industry. Look around your fucking office, assuming you're not one of those so-called mobile reporters working out of your car. Look at all the empty desks. It's the same thing in every fucking AP bureau.

If you think that your shop can work just as well with half the staff, then awesome. Sign me up for one of your lectures at Columbia and teach me, master, because you must be a journalism god. But I'll bet that you are sucking wind just like everyone else, including the AP.

AP staffers have a Guild and they have every right to negotiate for a better package. Maybe you should think about unionizing too?

Beanpole
    (Disclosure: I'm a former AP staffer who fell victim to the budget knife a few years ago. I have every right to dislike the AP because of my situation; I lost my house because of my layoff and I've still not put my life back together. But I also think that the AP staff I worked with were the best journalists I've ever met. They work their asses off and the ones who are still toiling away deserve a lot better than the shit they've been given. And you think it's their fault? Jesus.)

5. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Dyecadent does not have an office.

6. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

LOL

7. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Dyetto

Draft saved Draft deleted