1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

AP staffers shun self-improvement, push for "fair contract"

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Decadent, May 15, 2014.

1. Decadent

Decadent New Member

These disputes always tear me in two directions. Somehow the APers find a way to unite and push for pay and benefits. It'd be refreshing to see that in other sectors of this industry.

But the quality of AP service flat-out sucks. Why should people get paid more to provide shitty service? The cost will certainly be passed along to clients at some point.

2. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Why do you think they shunned self-improvement?

3. Decadent

Decadent New Member

None of their stuff has improved.

4. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

The more a man gets paid, the better quality of work he tends to turn out.

5. Decadent

Decadent New Member

Then their quality of work should have improved decades ago.

6. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

That doesn't mean they have shunned self-improvement. They might very well be trying to improve. And your assessment may very well be incorrect.

7. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Why? I'm pretty confident that pay increases haven't been danced over the years with COLA. Maybe.

Know why ESPN does so much great journalism? Because the people are paid well. Now, if cable subscribers had the chance to opt out of paying for ESPN, thus forcing ESPN not to use a Disney bundle scheme to siphon money from American people...

8. Decadent

Decadent New Member

There is no try. Only do. Or do not.

9. Decadent

Decadent New Member

ESPN is a sewage factory. I wouldn't have said that back in -- wait, can't go there yet.

10. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

The quality level of AP's output is the result of management decisions.

It's not always up to the level which **I** would like, but at the same time, staffing has been cut and cut and cut and cut over recent years.

Payroll expenses are irrelevant to customer prices.

11. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Aren't you the same guy who recently told a story of purposely doing a poor job on an assignment?

12. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

AP has its problems but, trust me, it's still the best there is at what it does for a lot of people in a lot of places. Our shop dumped AP photos in a cost-cutting move last year, and there isn't a day I don't curse the higher-up who made the decision.

Draft saved Draft deleted