1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

AP sportswriter -- Salt Lake City

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by MileHigh, Aug 23, 2010.

1. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

https://openings.ap.org/viewjob.html?erjob=18186&eresc=ERNOTIFY

The Associated Press seeks a sports writer for its Salt Lake City, Utah office.

The successful candidate will report to the West regional sports editor, based in Phoenix.

This person covers the NBA’s Utah Jazz, two Division I college programs, as well as other sporting events of national interest in a competitive news environment. The successful candidate will demonstrate the ability to approach the assignment as a beat and show a track record of source development that will enable the AP to compete aggressively in the marketplace. In addition to crisp and insightful game coverage on deadline, the successful candidate must regularly generate enterprise that extends beyond player profiles and game previews. The successful candidate must participate in long-range planning and coordinate coverage with the West regional sports editor in Phoenix and the sports desk in New York. Must also coordinate freelancers when necessary to provide coverage when staff is not available.

The successful candidate also will show prowess in general assignment news reporting and will be able to demonstrate basic news judgment and editing skills, as the demands on Associated Press staff can span many subjects.

QUALIFICATIONS:

Candidate must have demonstrated superior news judgment, with experience reporting and writing news for global audiences on multiple platforms. Superior writing ability, beat reporting skills and source development experience required. Candidate must understand the growing importance of multimedia news and be able to coordinate with AP staffers from other formats. Candidate must be a creative problem-solver who can work as a member of a local and geographically dispersed team. Qualifications for the successful candidate include:

* Bachelor's degree or equivalent experience.
    * Proven ability to recognize and develop newsworthy stories of global interest and work accurately under deadline pressure.
    * Strong organizational skills with experience juggling multiple projects across formats and meeting deadlines.
    * Well-developed communications skills to work constructively with staff, member editors and other AP departments.
    * At least two years of full-time news and sports writing and reporting experience at a daily newspaper, broadcast station or AP or similar bureau.
    * Professional journalism editing experience in a daily news setting.
    * Be able to travel and work a variety of hours to meet the needs of a 24/7 news organization.
    * Experience with computer-assisted reporting, FOI and investigative techniques is a plus.
    * A proficiency in multiple platforms, especially video, is a plus.
    * Must be able to demonstrate a high level of fluency in written and spoken English.
    * Authorization to work in the United States is mandatory.

2. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Where did Doug Alden go?

3. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

Alden is moving the New England with his girlfriend

This is a pretty good job and will keep you very busy. I know, given the current climate at Utah newspapers, there will be no shortage of resumes submitted from very qualified applicants that can start Day 1 without any significant dropoff for the AP

4. mac876

mac876 New Member

Anyone know the status of this one?

5. Matt Stephens

Matt Stephens Well-Known Member

99 percent sure it's closed. Not on the AP site anymore.

6. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

There have already been a few interviews. I submitted my resume, but have not been contacted. I know at least one of the layoffs from the Deseret News has interviewed and is waiting for a possible second interview.

I was told more than 125 applications came in within a week of the posting, not a single one was from within the full-time AP family.

7. MileHigh

Well, it sucks to live in Utah. You can't drink and all those Mormons. Why would anyone want to live there?

8. BH33

BH33 Member

If you don't drink and you are Mormon, it's probably not too bad.

9. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

I wonder how many people who make fun of Salt Lake City have been there. The city has plenty to offer, reasonable cost of living and it's not just a bunch of Mormons ready to pounce on you if you're not one.

10. MileHigh

Yup. Love Salt Lake City.

11. There is plenty to do in Salt Lake....plenty of liquor to be drank, plenty of women to be...ahem....It's severely underrated as a metro area

12. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

If you get bored in SLC or Utah it's because you are a boring person.

Draft saved Draft deleted