1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

AP Sports Writer -- Milwaukee, Wisconsin

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by boundforboston, May 25, 2013.

1. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

I honestly don't know how the nine-month gigs were given out. And the technical term might not have been "intern." There were those, too, but what I am thinking of might have had a different name. It was sort of a tryout-type position.

I've tried to suppress my time there. I've probably blocked out the official title.

The one sportswriter who was hired in the bureau while I was there was from the outside, though.

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

They don't always hire from within, although they do that a lot... They hired Jenkins away from USA Today.

Is this a one or two man gig? Back in the day there were two full-timers in Milwaukee and I know both have left within the last couple years.

3. gravehunter

gravehunter Member

From what I understand through an AP connection, if you apply for and get this gig, it would help to have reliable transportation, given that Green Bay is about two hours from Milwaukee, and Madison (University of Wisconsin) is almost 90 minutes away.

4. RonClements

RonClements Well-Known Member

And my hometown of La Crosse is a little over three hours away.

5. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

If only Lake Tahoe were 15 minutes away.

6. Double J

Double J Active Member

Since when is it not??

7. gravehunter

gravehunter Member

8. awriter

awriter Active Member

Damn, beat me to it.

9. RonClements

RonClements Well-Known Member

I believe they have their finalists for this one and I'm not one of them. :-[

10. Mira

Mira Member

Genaro Armas will take over the AP sportswriter gig in Wisconsin. He'll be based out of Milwaukee. Genaro has been based in State College, Pa., for eight years and he's been with AP since 1996.

Draft saved Draft deleted