1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

AP sports writer in Knoxville

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by SportsGuyBCK, Oct 14, 2007.

1. SportsGuyBCK

SportsGuyBCK Active Member

Found this on JournalismJobs.com ... anyone know who's leaving?

http://www.journalismjobs.com/Job_Listing.cfm?JobID=838397

2. Turbo

Turbo Guest

Looks like they decided to replace Elizabeth Davis, who left several months ago.

3. turnovers

turnovers Member

Seems entry level for AP almost. Three years at a daily is the minimum. No college is mentioned. Maybe I haven't read that many AP listings.

4. sportsnut

sportsnut Member

Its time for college stud or someone that has been doing daily online work to take a chance to work with the AP. It looks like a good gig that involves a little bit of everything but more sports then anything.

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Isn't Davis working PR for Tennessee these days?

6. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Yep, and the job would be much more than just sports. Quite a bit of news coverage comes with the gig as well. Be better to call it a GA job with a sports focus.

7. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

Another AP writer in a different city told me Davis was run pretty ragged in her time there, ergo the move to the PR gig (granted, not sure money wasn't part of it, too).

8. thegrifter

thegrifter Member

And, from what I've heard, there are some changes going on in sports at the AP in terms of budget and stuff. Which may or may not explain why this seems to be a combo gig.
    Still trying to find out more details though.

9. It would have to pay pretty decent to beat AP pay, I would think.

10. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

I've heard a lot of PR gigs aren't too shabby. Granted, sometimes, working at McD's isn't too shabby when you're a sports writer.

11. From what I understand, the vast majority of what Elizabeth did was sports: UT stuff, the I-AA football title game, et cetera.

Granted that may have changed. I know AP has used a few cost cutting measures of its own as of late, including not staffing Virginia Tech football's weekly media functions.

Which, of course, just means more sammiches for Nappy.

12. AP usually pays pretty well and I know a few experienced AP guys are up for this gig.

Draft saved Draft deleted