1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

AP sports writer in KC

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Murray present, Aug 29, 2007.

1. Yawn

Yawn New Member

It isn't when all you need to do to justify that you posted the position is to have some applications on your desk.

2. I Like HD

I Like HD Member

If you couldn't upload clips or a cover letter you were looking in the wrong place. It's pretty easy to do both if you click on the right link.

3. beardown

beardown Member

This is a real good gig. Yes, the Royals suck, but some of their opponents don't. Same goes with the Chiefs. It's one of AP's leading positions on the Big 12 and the reporter covers either Kansas or Kansas State. There's NASCAR there as well.

It's real busy there through most of the fall with the Royals-Chiefs-Big 12 overlap, but decent stringers help out, too. In the spring and summer, it's somewhat slow. Doug and the rest of the bureau are easy to work with as well.

4. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

Anyone know what happened to Brisendine? That guy is a riot. Talked to him once at a high school state tournament about restaurants called "Food" or "Eat" and haven't laughed that hard in years. Barely knew the guy too.

Really likeable guy and a good writer.

5. "The Rotund One" is good people. KC is a good town.

Jump all over this one.

6. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

every time i've been to kc, i've ate gates. is AB's really that much better?

7. This might be heresy, but I think they're about equal.

AB's atmosphere, however, puts it over the top.

8. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

so the employees aren't pist off that you walked through the door, much like they are at the gates by the stadium(s)?

9. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

My personal perference is Gates. Hayward's is awesome too.

10. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

I think they're all like that. It's part of the schtick.

11. awriter

awriter Active Member

And not everyone came from a "pup job at AP," either. Look, if you're interested in this job, you have nothing to lose by applying. And maybe, just maybe, you'll get it.

12. awriter

awriter Active Member

I'll add another word to the list: Gates.

Draft saved Draft deleted