1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

AP sources say Chrysler to read from Chapter 11

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 2muchcoffeeman, Apr 30, 2009.

1. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

To be fair, British Leyland made some truly awful, awful cars, and the workers spent more time on strike than actually making those truly awful, awful cars.

2. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Wow. Those cars are horrible. The steering wheels are on the wrong side!

3. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Plus, the company was bankrupted by the dental plan. :D

4. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Since that last link was just a highlight package, I give you the entire bit, spread across four videos.

5. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

When someone brought up British Leyland, that Top Gear segment was the first thing I thought of. Brilliant stuff.

6. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

The list of dealership closings:

http://www.thecourier.com/stills/news/stories/ChryslerDealers.pdf

7. JBHawkEye

JBHawkEye Well-Known Member

Two of the three dealers in our circulation area were on the list. The good thing is all of them sell other brands, so it shouldn't affect us from an advertising standpoint.

8. Until they get notifications from GM within the next few days.

9. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

Exactly.

If the dealership closings are significant enough (which looks to be the case), it's going to get much bleaker for the newspaper industry. Small and midsize dailies in podunk are really going to feel the sting this time around.

10. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

A friend of mine at GM headquarters sent me this yesterday.

"Had a meeting with the managers today, they said we're filing for bankruptcy on June 1, they have no idea how many people are going to be let go, it's pretty hectic around here."

11. Oh, they will be signifcant. GM is going to trim 42 percent of its dealers.

12. JBHawkEye

JBHawkEye Well-Known Member

One is also GM, but they also sell Nissan, Toyota and Mazda. So they'll stay in business.

I misspoke on the other one. Same owner, but the dealership he's losing is out of our circulation area.

Draft saved Draft deleted