1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

AP: Show us the bin Laden Photos

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by YankeeFan, May 10, 2011.

1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Not surprisingly, the AP has filed a FOIA request for the photos:

2. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Former DOJ official who was responsible for FOIA releases makes a pretty good case for why:

http://gawker.com/5798497/ex+justice-department-official-obama-could-be-forced-to-release-the-osama-death-photos

3. UNCGrad

UNCGrad Well-Known Member

I don't remember exactly -- were the Dale Earnhardt photos released? Or do I remember the Orlando Sentinel got them, studied them, but didn't show them publicly?

Can't remember.

4. printdust

printdust New Member

Was there a compelling need for the world to view Dale Earnhardt's remains?

5. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

So...Obama can label the photos as "classified" and still not have to turn them over, right? I'd imagine that's exactly what he'll do.

6. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Arguably, yes. As evidence of the need for HANS in NASCAR.

7. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Case went to court and Theresa Earnhardt said release would cause harm to the family. Judge agreed and they weren't released. In fact, I want to say the Florida Legislature passed a law specifically barring the release of the photos.

8. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

YF, do you ever leave your computer?

9. BB Bobcat

BB Bobcat Active Member

I think they ought to just release 'em.

I'm not buying the argument that releasing them would inflame terrorists and cause a higher threat to national security. Do you think right now there are terrorists out there thinking: "It's OK that you guys killed bin Laden, but if you show pictuers of him, then we're going to get really mad!"

I'm pretty sure that in the heirarchy of bad things you do someone, killing him ranks above showing pictures of his corpse.

Honestly, it gets worse the longer they wait, because we're still in the immediate high-security watch just from killing the guy. If you wait months or a year, after we've dropped our guard, then you have to ramp up all over again.

10. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Releasing them would make terrorists angry with us. Can't take the chance.

11. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

If they had shot bin Laden as he was sliding into second base to break up a first-inning double play at Wrigley Field, AP would already have the photos.

12. printdust

printdust New Member

This warms my heart to think AP has some people who don't give a shit about the feelings of terrorists.

Draft saved Draft deleted