1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

AP Select

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by SouthernStyle, Jan 21, 2010.

1. SouthernStyle

SouthernStyle Member

Anyone else's higher-ups chose the new AP Select over the full, more expensive package? I have to say it sucks, especially from the sports side. For those who aren't familiar, the select package consists of state wire, four national sports stories per day and some sports agate (with no tabs). And when your state AP sucks, well …

I have no idea how we're going to fill Sunday papers? I have no idea how we're going to survive the summer? I have no idea how we're going to survive period?

2. Scouter

Scouter Member

Our higher-ups threw that option out there for us. Needless to say, we told them they're crazy to do it if they want a four-page section.

3. fishhack2009

fishhack2009 Active Member

Oh, brother. Good thing my bosses don't read this board.. I hope. :)

Sounds like THIS is the new slow-speed wire.

4. SouthernStyle

SouthernStyle Member

More like no-speed wire since nothing moves.

5. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

Sunday papers are good for columnists to write about golf, outdoors, longer profiles, trends and other things.

Come up with a list of ideas from each of your writers to start working on for centerpieces. Do you have a golf or outdoor writer, or a tennis writer?

If not, maybe you could get the society reporter or traffic reporter to write something. Your editor probably has some good ideas about how to fill that space if he helped decide to hack the AP service.

6. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

We've hacked AP on the national side but we have retained the full sports coverage ... for now. We're still on the record as planning not to renew our AP contract after 2011.

7. SouthernStyle

SouthernStyle Member

Yeah. I know it's doable. Just takes a little more creativity. It just sucks, especially in the midst of furloughs and every other crippling cutback our overworked and understaffed newsroom is going through.

Draft saved Draft deleted