1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

AP rudeness

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by sportschick, Nov 24, 2007.

1. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

Do you really think they have been holding onto it?

I know we all assume that, but maybe they sent it and it didn't go through, or they had trouble getting it.

2. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

3. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Given that he admitted as much, yes. They get the boxes, etc., from stats inc., which has slowed the arrival considerably, but AP still updates the glances.

4. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

To be fair, I never really call about agate. I call about stories.

5. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

AP agate desk hasn't been the same since the days of Hillel Italie and Jerome Minerva.

6. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

does that mean you ask for onion rings with them?

7. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

As someone who spent a couple years on AP's NYC agate desk(a long time ago), I'd guess the whole department, not just the agate desk, was swamped w/college football, college basketball, NBA, NHL. Saturday nights in the fall are the busiest by far.

8. ink-stained wretch

ink-stained wretch Active Member

Crossover weekend — college football, college basketball. Heavy drinking required.

Call your line bureau. Better yet have one of the beat writers grab the AP guy in the press box. It use to be the high point of a weekend night was jacking up NY Sports. They piss all over the line buros for copy. It was always nice to return the favor.

9. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Would calling their bosses and informing them of their employees' rudeness help? If not, remind me to deal with AP as little as possible.

Thankfully, I don't have to worry about them at my shop.

10. BigSleeper

BigSleeper Active Member

I dread calling NY. Bunch of assholes.

But man, when I first started, I loved calling the Seattle AP just to hear this lovely lady with a smoky bedroom voice. In the chaos of Friday nights, hearing her voice made the world slow down for a few wonderful minutes. Good days.

Draft saved Draft deleted