1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

AP reporter tweets Raiders coach fired, except he wasn't

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Steak Snabler, Sep 29, 2014.

1. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

I'm with you on that part about the back-tracking with the statement that "I was never covering the story."

Not sure how it would happen, but that kind of had me wondering if this could have been a case of some kind of social-media identity theft, or something.

2. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

But if it actually was a hacked-account situation, then why not come out and say it? It's one of the defaults for stupid comments, when it often isn't true, so why wouldn't you actually use it if it was true?

3. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Twitter exploding again: Glazer reporting Allen just given his walking papers. Or would this be more appropriate in the weekly thread?

4. Hoosier Daddy

Hoosier Daddy New Member

CBS Sports says coach has been given his walking papers... so does this mean the AP writer gets the scoop?

5. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

Looks like it was premature twitteration, but hey...all good now.

6. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

AP has it again ... but this time from Josh Dubow.

7. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

No way. He was "never covering the story", right?

8. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

Theory: AP was working on it, this reporter got wind of it, prematurely tweeted. Ergo: the "not working on the story bit." Anyone agree?

9. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

An educated guess, team looks listless and approaching a bye week for a third year coach who has struggled....Helen Keller saw this one coming.

10. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I wonder if Dumb & Dumber will be like his daddy and refuse to pay the balance of his contract, like with Kiffin and Shanahan.

11. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

All's well that ends well, I guess.

12. pseudo

pseudo Well-Known Member

Very possible. Also, even if he had it right, pretty sure AP's social media policy frowns on breaking news on Twitter. (And he'd still need a second source, just as if he was writing for publication; to me, "not confirmed" was the least surprising part of that apology.)

Draft saved Draft deleted