1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

AP question

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by spud, Sep 26, 2009.

1. spud

spud Member

Does AP earmark certain games as high priority, thus tasking writers with churning those out quicker, or do some of these AP writers just suck at getting their stories out quickly? I'm dyin' here.

(currently talking about college football, of course)

2. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

Doesn't your paper do the same thing? Prioritize stories, I mean. And have some writers that are better and faster than others?

3. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

I can hear the conversation in AP New York now: "Forget Oregon walloping Cal, look at what Northeastern Southwestern did to Show-me State!"

4. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

Some of us don't have additional writers, better or faster.

5. apseloser

apseloser Member

They're all SUPPOSED to file within a certain time after each game. I think first story is due within 10 minutes of it ending, then an hour for writethru, then another time for third story.

But they use so many stringers now, they've lost their way a little. I wouldn't want to have to do their job but I don't think AP has ever been worse. And try asking them for something sometime. It's not a fun experience.

6. sportsguydave

sportsguydave Active Member

Like an agate resend, perhaps?

7. apseloser

apseloser Member

or even just a harmless question about when they expect something to move on the wire.

they treat their "clients" like airlines do passengers.

but anyone who claims AP's not still essential to newspapers is mistaken. you can come up all the partnerships you want but someone's gotta collect and code all that agate, for starters.

where have you gone, UPI ...

8. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

Thing is, especially for stuff coming out of SPT, your local buro has no clue.

It's scary how short-staffed an AP buro is on a Saturday. When I worked there, it was me and the editor - that was it. Not in a local AP buro for sports, but the entire state wire. If anything was breaking, he had to do that, too.

If it's in NY, the local buro has no idea, and calling them doesn't do any good. Yeah, they can call NY, but they get the same results anyone else does. It doesn't help.

Everyone's short-staffed, everyone's working as fast as possible. It's painful, but AP's not immune to cutbacks OR poorly-written copy (from staff or stringers).

9. jfs1000

jfs1000 Member

The worst is an agate resend.

10. Knighthawk

Knighthawk Member

These days, many local buros are closed entirely on weekends. The one you are most familiar with closes Saturday night and opens again Monday morning. In the meantime, the phones are forwarded to the new Central desk in Chicago.

11. spud

spud Member

Its not even that, I'm talking about games within the SEC. Certain gamers were out within 15 minutes of game's end. Certain other 17-inch gamers took 45+ minutes. Didn't make much damn sense at all.

12. sportsguydave

sportsguydave Active Member

My favorite line to hear from AP is, "Well, just get it from AP Exchange."

Riiight.

Draft saved Draft deleted