1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

AP President: Job cuts coming...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Guerrillascribe, Nov 21, 2008.

1. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

glug, glug.
  2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

ummm, ok.
  3. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

With everybody cutting and nobody hiring ... this business is dead. Wait we already knew that.
    How can any journalism school be open next year? What fool would major in journalism? My god.
  4. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

Oh, God. Myopia is blinding.
    What about real estate, financial advisory, banking, investing, business management, restaurants, anything retail, trading, home investment or building, commercial arms, research and development and the auto industry and the ten-of-thousands of subcontractors? Many states are laying off teachers and administrators.
  5. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Active Member

I'm not sure I get your point about myopia. If someone on this thread suggested this is the only industry in trouble, I didn't see it. Help me out -- what am I missing? Fredrick may have been a little over the top about journalism schools, but I'm not sure what prompted you to talk about the blinding effects of myopia. This is a journalism board, so by nature news of this kind will be discussed within that context.

Not trying to be a jerk. Just not sure I understand your point.
  6. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

AP just advertised and filled (I'm told) a new spot for a mini-bureau in San Antonio.
    Apparently a Dallas-bureau person is going to, or has already filled it.
    That's one job created, it would seem.
  7. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

Sell drugs.

The illegal kind.
  8. joe

joe Active Member

Don't say nothing about no cocaine or no freebase.

'Less you got some.
  9. Wow, I know two people from AP who had recently bragged to me about their "job security." So much for that...
  10. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Yeah, I would have thought they were just about the only ones who were safe... Go figure...
  11. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

Nor was I.
    Point being, perhaps sloppily, if institutions are to shutter journalism classes (even in hyperbole) they can keep on going. There are industries dying at a faster rate.

Here is a list of retail closures in the last three quarters. As you scroll down the list, you'll see much of newspaper revenue closing, too. Our revenue is tied to the functionality of the economy even in the best of times. Our revenue failure is the end game, not a symptom.
    Staying away from the intangibles of journalism...The effects are felt elsewhere, more than likely on a much grander scales.

Draft saved Draft deleted