1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

AP: Pettitte admits using HGH

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by DougDascenzo, Dec 15, 2007.

1. DougDascenzo

DougDascenzo Member

NEW YORK (AP) - Andy Pettitte used human growth hormone to recover from an elbow injury in 2002, the New York Yankees pitcher said two days after he was cited in the Mitchell Report.

Pettitte said he tried HGH on two occasions.

"If what I did was an error in judgment on my part, I apologize," Pettitte said Saturday in a statement released by his agent. "I accept responsibility for those two days."

http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=D8TI55S81&show_article=1

2. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Enjoy that new contract, Andy. It'll be your last (hopefully).

3. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

I appreciate Pettitte admitting he took HGH, but only twice? That's like Clinton saying he didn't inhale.

4. jagtrader

jagtrader Active Member

My guess is nearly every baseball player with a serious injury has used HGH.

5. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

... leaving his fans in tears.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  6. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

That's another thing that really has me thinking differently about the PED issue. Steroids and HGH have legitimate uses in recovering from surgical injuries.

Now I'm not saying that most of these guys were using them legitimately, but lumping in the few who were with the many who weren't also doesn't strike me as fair.

7. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

Early damage control by Pettitte, I'm guessing.
    Yes, it sounds a lot like "I didn't inhale"
    Maybe it WAS just for for 2 days. Who knows?

8. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

I don't disagree, necessarily, tony, but you just know that his is going to be the excuse from just about everyone -- depending on how it plays for Pettitte.

9. spnited

spnited Active Member

According to the Mitchell Repoert, McNamee said Pettitte asked about HGH when he hurt his elbow and McNamee recalled injecting him "2 to 4 times."
    So maybe Pettitte is telling the thruth. And by doing so, he gives McNamee credibility, which is not a good thing for Roger Clemens.

10. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Tony: I think that's why the media seemed to let it go with Paul Byrd. Pettitte, I dunno. He hasn't had the injury problems Byrd has.

Anybody think this will put a strain on Pettitte's friendship with Clemens?

11. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Interesting article by C.J. Nitkowski, who writes occasionally for the AP.

12. DougDascenzo

DougDascenzo Member

Bingo.

Somebody just got deleted from the Clemens Christmas-card list.

Draft saved Draft deleted