1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

AP on Spike Lee's donation

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moderator1, May 18, 2007.

1. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

You miss the point, Chee.

Yes, certain fields were dominated by white males. And at one time, those were the people with all the money.

As I said, I have no problem with scholarships aimed at helping those who are disadvantaged based on historical record -- like having to attend worse schools funded by property taxes in black neighborhoods.

But at some point we're all going to have to wake up and realize that it is no longer a black thing or a white thing or a brown thing AS MUCH AS IT IS a money thing.

The numbers say so. That's all I'm pointing out.

2. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Is it inappropriate to note that if 16% percent of the sports columnists are African-American, that is about in proportion to the population? Actually, if columnists are the focus, George Lopez should be endowing scholarships for Hispanics instead of bitching about being bumped by the caveman show. That said, there's no doubt there's an underrepresentation in the industry overall, and Lee's effort is worthy. But as Alma has pointed out numerous times, drawing minorities to journalism when much-higher-paying industries are seeking people from that pool is a tough nut to crack.

3. Sweetness

Sweetness Member

Thank you for lumping me into a broad generalization when you know nothing about me. What a bullshit move. Of course, if I had done it, I'd be a racist. Way to work both sides.

So Buck, where do I apply for my whiteboy scholarship?

To say that it's OK to offer scholarships to people of backgrounds that are historically oppressed is absurd. What race or religion hasn't dealt with that?

4. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Sweetness:

Connect these dots for me.

Black people were enslaved in this country, via law.

Later, laws forced their hands about where to live. Where laws didn't force their hands, prejudice and poverty did.

Black people still live in these historically black neighborhoods. Their children attend schools funded by property taxes. The money available to those schools is still, this very day, much less than in white neighborhoods as a direct result of laws of this country.

Thus, scholarships and aid are aimed at these students.

What's the problem?

5. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

lol......nice!

6. boots

boots New Member

Can't we all just get along?

7. shotglass

shotglass Guest

We do in some rooms here now...

Draft saved Draft deleted