1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

AP on Spike Lee's donation

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moderator1, May 18, 2007.

1. helping educate kids helps the bigger picture of racism in america. trust me.

2. Big Chee

Big Chee Active Member

How can I trust anyone that doesn't understand education policies since it involves politics you don't follow?

3. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

He's right though. The more people are exposed to people not like them the less racism there will be.

4. Sweetness

Sweetness Member

What color are the kids we're talking about educating? The article is talking about just blacks. Wouldn't it help to get more white kids in the mix, too? Especially since they're suposed to be the problem here.

And why piss and moan about just black kids? What about hispanic sports journalists?

5. Big Chee

Big Chee Active Member

I don't recall him saying that, and considering how segregated lunchrooms are in intergrated schools, that's not completely true.

6. dcdream

dcdream Member

Leon Carter still runs the program called the Sports Journalism Institute (http://www.sportsjournalisminstitute.org/). See the class of 2007 as well as a look back where the alums are currently working today. It is a widely sucessful program. In fact the industry should work harder to give more students a chance at this opportunity through expansion.

7. Dave Kindred

Dave Kindred Member

It's a fabulous thing Spike has done. Anything that raises the level of journalism is good for all of us. At The National in the winter of 1989, I asked Arthur Ashe to help us identify and recruit Arican-American writers and editors. Two weeks later, chagrined, Arthur said the best he could do was suggest his research assistant. That's changed for the better now. With programs such as Morehouse's, the change will be accelerated.

8. Big Chee

Big Chee Active Member

You lost me here. I don't recall Spike doing anything to exclude others, but INVOLVE those that are far and few between in the world of Journalism.

Black Journalists played an intergal part in many of the changes this country has witnessed, from Brown vs. the Board of Education to the Civil Rights act of 1964. But the field of black journalists has been depleted with the "promise" of intergration that has yet to make any headway in broadcast and print media.

I don't understand people like you. You're like those white males that get angry thinking 2000 black students somehow hindered or excluded the other 25000 whites I went to school with.

9. Big Chee

Big Chee Active Member

10. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Can't find too much fault with this one. Complaining that there are no white/male scholarships out there is, frankly, laughable.

If you're white and male (and I am), that IS your scholarship.

11. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Sorry, buck, but that ignores the real problem.

Skin color isn't the deciding factor. Your parents income is.

Being born white, male and poor in this country does not equal a scholarship, or anything close.

Otherwise, I'm with you. Arguing that there should be scholarships for white males is absurd.

And I don't have any problems with scholarships targeting minorities who have traditionally been forced into attending crappy public schools, either.

But the best thing we could do is target poor students with promise -- of all colors -- at a young age and sheperd them through a college education.

Rich kids -- of any color -- don't need any help.

12. Big Chee

Big Chee Active Member

Color and gender does play a role when scholarships are used to stem the tide of historically white male dominated industries.

Draft saved Draft deleted