1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

AP: Obama has clinched delegate count

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by spup1122, Jun 3, 2008.

1. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

So much of his campaign is based on his race? Examples, please.

And yes, it'd be "nice" if race wasn't an issue. But it is -- it affects every aspect of life in this country.

2. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

Ain't that true.
    Affects EVERY aspect in some way or another.
    Race, and money.

3. Mighty_Wingman

Mighty_Wingman Active Member

Well, there's The Speech On Race That Changed America...or at least was supposed to, until he quit his church to very little fanfare. There's the obligatory mention of his deadbeat father in every slobbery newspaper and magazine profile. There's the best-selling book all about "dreams from" said father. There's the claim that spending his childhood in Indonesia will help him connect to all those well-meaning foreigners out there who only hate us because the Smirking Chimp Bushitler has SQUANDERED! the goodwill we once enjoyed. There are the totally justified but nonetheless heavy-handed constant references to "making history," which is obviously a reference to his -- commendable -- status as a racial pioneer. There's his diction, which -- admittedly like pretty much all politicians -- he's careful to adjust in front of minority audiences.

There's not a whole lot out there about the issues, aside from "I'd give Kim Jong Il and Mahmoud Ahmadinejad the propaganda victory of a face-to-face meeting with high-level U.S. officials," and "I'd disregard six months' success caused by the surge and snatch defeat from the jaws of victory in Iraq," and "No, seriously, when I'm elected president, everything will just be better because WE are the change we've been waiting for."

4. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

This will be known forever as the "This Was The Moment" speech. Too bad the crowd drowned out half of it.

Did he misspeak when he said Bill and Hillary ran their first campaign in Texas?

5. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

Wingman, for what it's worth, the end of that speech, followed by "The Rising" made me a little emotional.

He barely mentioned himself throughout that entire speech, too.

6. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

And this is different from ALL campaigns ... how?

We've spent the last three months of the primary season talking mostly about one candidate's former pastor and the other candidate's husband.

Let's not act like this is a new thing.

7. Mighty_Wingman

Again, tonight's events are certainly justification for emotion. The facebook message just struck me as a little trite to deserve such swooning.

8. Mighty_Wingman

Buck,

I didn't say it was a new thing. I'm just saying, when you can't at least point to a resume or a long voting record that isn't chock full of "presents" and party-line votes, you should be able to make clear to your supporters and potential supporters what voting for you means.

And of course I know that many, many potential Obama voters will happily vote for him just because of his stance on the war, which is perfectly understandable. My inner wonk would still like to see the barest trace of a political philosophy beyond "whatever gets me through this next election."

9. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Speaking of which, OMFG he was wearing his flag pin!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

10. spinning27

spinning27 New Member

He's the real deal.

He's played by the rules, not just in politics, but in life. He understands the moment. He's represents the best of America. He would be appreciated and loved on the world stage. He makes me want to be a better American. And nobody has ever made me feel that way.

11. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

http://www.barackobama.com/issues/

Read up.

He's made his political philosophy on many issues quite clear. The majority of his speeches have also included details of his policies.

Whether you agree with it or not, saying his political philosophy is only "the barest trace" is completely inaccurate.

12. Mighty_Wingman

This might be better on the "writing workshop" board, but here goes.

This means...what, exactly?

What moment is that? And how?

How's that? What is "the best of America," and how does he -- as opposed to, say, decorated veteran and lifelong public servant John McCain -- represent it?

I think you're wrong, but at least this is a real, concrete argument. Obama supporters who make this argument appear genuinely to believe that other countries will set aside their national interests -- which often conflict with ours -- as soon as the Oval Office is occupied by someone who hasn't ever worn cowboy boots. This strikes me as unlikely.

Great, I guess, but how? And why?

More your problem than John McCain's, I suppose. Also, outing alert: spinning is Michelle Obama.

Draft saved Draft deleted