1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

AP(Not ESPN): Webber to the Pistons

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Chuck~Taylor, Jan 15, 2007.

1. fmrsped

fmrsped Active Member

Wow, boo? That was fantastic, J_D, don't let The King tell you otherwise.

2. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

That was a painful moment to watch at the time as a young Michigan fan. That said, it was a nice addition to this thread.

3. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

That was a wonderful moment to watch as someone who covered games Webber played in from the time he was a sophomore in high school...

4. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Webber's mature, unselfish, balanced outlook on his profession may be just the steadying influence they need to get Rasheed Wallace to settle down, start attending practice and start listening to the coach.

[​IMG]

That's it!!! They're bringing Webber in to "mentor" Sheed.

[​IMG]

Either that, or they want to absolutely eternalize all the team technical-foul records.

5. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

6. WSKY

WSKY Member

I think he's gonna take all the way. He's gonna make up for his years of mediocrity.

7. fever_dog

fever_dog Active Member

webber is the worst frontcourt defender in the league. his legs are shot. he is done.
    when you average 20 and 10 for a 38-44 team .... it kinda tells you the value of that 20 and 10.

8. BYH

BYH Active Member

It was a wonderful moment to watch as a UNC fan.

Webber's a shit. The skeletons in his closet probably take up an entire floor.

Would LOVE to know what kind of money Ed Martin had on the 1993 title game. Would LOVE it. Starman, you got that info handy about how the spread flipped late in both Michigan title games?

9. Starman

I'm not a hardcore bettor, so I wouldn't personally have known, but I have been told by a few guys who are, that both the 1992 (vs. Duke) and 1993 (vs. UNC) title games involving the Fab Five, flipped in regards to both the point spread and the over/under in the final 2:00 of each game. Somebody would have to go do some real hardcore research to find out if that was actually the case.

But of course, as we were reminded in just about every single story about Ed Martin, he was a numbers operator, not a sports gambler.

Of course a guy who was running numbers games which supposedly were clearing four-figure sums every day out of the Ford plants, would have had no idea whatsoever of how or where he could bet a couple bucks on a college basketball game, would he?? :eek: :eek:

And, of course, Ed Martin was handing out six-figure sums to players simply because he was a nice guy. OK, got it. ;) ;)

Statute of limitations has run out by this point, and Ed Martin is dead, so I doubt you'll see anything come of it.

10. BYH

BYH Active Member

Haha don't worry Starman I wasn't referring to you as a hardcore bettor...only someone who didn't ignore the dirt around the Fab Five like some other vertically challenged *cough Albom cough cough* sportswriters.

I'm not sure how anyone can NOT wonder how deep the shit went with Webber and Martin.

I always thought it was interesting that Ed Martin died in jail. Died. In. Jail. Of natural causes. Wink, wink. Sure funny how that worked out for everyone huh? Bless you randomness of life! Bless you!!!!

11. Starman

If you ever read "Fab Five," the one reference to Ed Martin is absolutely hilarious. (I haven't read it in probably 8-10 years, so this account might be a little fuzzy around the edges, but that's perfectly in keeping with everything else).

There had been a feature story in Sports Illustrated fawning over the Fabs, which dwelt at some length about Webber and Jalen Rose living together in an off-campus apartment, with the living room crammed wall-to-wall with $50,000 worth of stereo gear. Okay.

Anyway, Albom decides to "clear the air" about the "rumors" swirling around the program about Ed Martin "taking care of players."

So he asks Webber, "What can you tell me about Ed Martin, Chris?"

Webber grins and winks. "Awww, why do you want to go asking about something like that?"

End of subject.

:eek: ::) :eek: ??? ???

12. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

The relationship goes back to Country Day ... and was sealed in cement with others once Perry Watson joined Fisher's staff....

Draft saved Draft deleted