1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

AP news alert

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Writer33, Nov 7, 2007.

1. John

John Well-Known Member

NY Times:

KENNEDY SPACE CENTER, Fla. Nov. 7 — The shuttle Discovery glided to a safe landing here today, bringing to a close one of the more eventful shuttle missions in the history of the shuttle program.

2. Writer33

Writer33 Member

By MARCIA DUNN
    AP Aerospace Writer
    CAPE CANAVERAL, Fla. (AP) — Discovery and its crew returned to Earth on Wednesday and concluded a 15-day space station build and repair mission that was among the most challenging — and heroic — in shuttle history.

3. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

That makes it sound like they cleaned out the space station's garage or something and cleaned up a broken lightbulb.

4. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Marcia Dunn is generally very good and has been covering the beat for an awful long time. Maybe too long?

On the other hand, it could have been an overzealous desk editor trying to "punch up" the lede.

You never really know with this sort of thing unless you're watching it happen.

5. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

I just like you because you're so positive!

6. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

The best thing about moving to Verizon FIOS service is now I get the NASA channel! Having watched the outdoor repairs, I'd say "heroic" might be editorializing, but "hair-raisingly dangerous" would be straight news.

7. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

True Quam.

8. Sxysprtswrtr

Sxysprtswrtr Active Member

And here I thought we were debating the over saturation of AP News Alerts???

9. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

Perhaps you haters just didn't know how heroic this mission was.

[​IMG]

10. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

I have zero problem with the AP writer who is an expert in this field, presumably, labeling something "heroic," which apparently puts me in the minority here.

The bigger picture: Putting the handcuffs on writers and expecting "inverted pyramid, just the facts ma'am" reporting to draw and hold readers in this current environment is one of the reasons we're in this current environment.

11. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Oh, and yes, with respect to our tireless and dedicated moderators, I think this thread was moved a bit prematurely. This is definitely a journalism topic.

12. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Maybe AP should release news alerts in heroic couplet form.

Or a least in limerick form.

Draft saved Draft deleted