1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

AP mugs

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by ColbertNation, Feb 8, 2009.

1. ColbertNation

ColbertNation Member

Is there somewhere to get mugs for AP columnists -- Litke, Dahlberg, Ferguson and the like? I looked on AP Exchange, but couldn't find them anywhere. I thought I remembered a dropdown menu somewhere, but that might have been on yourAP.

2. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

AP Exchange simply cannot suck enough.

That is all.

3. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Dude, don't even get me started.

From having to wait for the "Other things in this category" to load, just so I can download or print a picture, to searches not turning up the proper pictures no matter how many different things I type in.

I hate AP Exchange. Plus, it seems to go down way more than YourAP ever did.

4. SCEditor

SCEditor Active Member

I've quit using AP Exchange. It takes forever to load, times out all the time and drives me crazy. I go to the old server, AP Server NT, and use that. It works so much better.

5. Angola!

Angola! Guest

I honestly thought it was just my really shitty internet connection at work. You saying this makes me happy it's not my internet connection, but at the same time I was hoping to pressure my work into upgrading. Oh well.

Anyway, the old AP Server NT still works? Can you PM the address?

6. times38

times38 Member

yeah the old dropdown menu was on YourAP. if there are columnist mugs on Exchange I have yet to find them, and believe me, I've looked.

and you guys are right. Exchange could not suck more.

7. Colton

Colton Active Member

I thought it was just my shitty connection, too!!!! AP Exchange sucks giant camel balls.

Rant over...

8. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Did somebody send you the AP Server NT address yet? If not, I'll get it to you Tuesday when I get back to work.

As far as searches going down on AP Exchange, what usually works for me is to make sure you're set to "all media" and then click "home" a half-dozen times until something shows up (usually, AP alerts and whatever's latest on the wire.) Then try your search again and it'll usually show up.

It's a stupid trick, but it seems to work.

9. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I miss AP LeafDesk. That dates me, I know.

I still use AP Server NT; but if your paper doesn't subscribe to it you may be out of luck. When we open it, it goes to an IP address that's apparently in-house. I cannot access it unless I'm hooked to the system.

However, AP Exchange has its advantages: You can access it from anywhere; you can get stuff from further back that cycles out quickly in NT; and best of all ... no dreaded "cookie check."

10. Calvin Hobbes

Calvin Hobbes Member

At our shop, we've found that problems with AP Exchange occur much less frequently when we use Mozilla Firefox instead of Internet Explorer.

11. Colton

Colton Active Member

This is one of those misery-loves-company threads.

To hell with AP Exchange.

12. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Problems with anything occur much less frequently with Firefox than with Explorer. However, all my issues with Exchange occur in Firefox, because that's the only browser I use.

And, yes, your AP Server NT address would be specific to your location.

Gola, your Internet connection may have something to do with it, too, especially with the overall load time, but the frequent timeouts seem to be an Exchange feature. But we won't tell anyone if you want to use Exchange's shitty performance to angle for a connection upgrade. ;)

Draft saved Draft deleted