1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

AP Male Athlete of the Year

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Inky_Wretch, Dec 21, 2011.

1. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

No Lionel Messi? He's just about the most dominating athlete in any sport today, coming off a year in which club was among the best in history.

2. Good points. I guess I'm guilty of thinking the tennis season is basically over after the U.S. Open.

Webster, Lionel Messi certainly is more than worthy. He would surely be one of the favorites for a true World Athlete of the Year.

3. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

AP athlete of the year is U.S. athlete of the year most recognized by the residents of the tank towns where AP IS the news. Nothing wrong with that. It's business. But let's not argue about the right choice. For AP, the easiest choice is the right choice. And anybody who thinks they really count the votes, I have some super resort properties in Spain and Ireland you might be interested in.

4. NickMordo

NickMordo Active Member

And he doesn't play in the U.S., so why would the AP give him the award? Not saying Messi isn't worthy, but choosing an athlete who has plenty of exposure is part of the process (I would think).

5. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

He had a better year than Djokovic. I realize he doesn't play in the US and therefore probably wouldn't win. But I bet his match against Man United got better ratings in the US than any two of Djokovic's matches.

Draft saved Draft deleted