1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

AP Male Athlete of the Year, 2009: Jimmie Johnson

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 2muchcoffeeman, Dec 21, 2009.

1. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Oh, yeah.... athlete of the year is a regular KKK rally through the years.

Get fucking real.

2. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Actually it disproves your point. (Same high-speed-oven-on-wheels equipment prepped in the same building by a lot of the same people) + different driver=different result.

To prove your point, the two drivers would have to be tied at the end of the season.

3. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

No.

Someone has to win.

4. Double J

Double J Active Member

Thank you. That's exactly what I was trying to say.

The point is, Jeff Gordon did not, and has not. Jimmie Johnson, the former protege, in the same equipment, has won four consecutive times. That's something no one else in the history of the sport has ever done. That's not a fluke. He's the best and most consistent driver in NASCAR. And it has to count for something. AP Male Athlete of the Year works for me.

And I say all this as someone who is not a fan of the 48. Mainly because I'm a fan of the 24, and he should have tied or even surpassed Petty and Earnhardt's record seven championships by now. But he hasn't, and with each year that passes it becomes increasingly unlikely that he ever will.

5. Ashy Larry

Ashy Larry Active Member

Good point. Was Jimmie Johnson better this year than the previous 3?

6. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

Simon, meet satire.

Satire, meet Simon.

I don't believe you know each other.

7. spnited

spnited Active Member

Johnson's car went faster than the other cars this year.
    Bolt ran faster than anybody in the history of the sport.

No freaking contest. Bolt by 200 meters.

8. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Agreed.

Bolt > Johnson

9. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

Let me see if I have this right. The AP gives its Male Athlete of the Year award to a guy who sits on his ass all day? Ohhhhhh-kaaaaaaaaay.

10. Jimmie Johnson fans might ask, why give it to an athlete who only has to stay in his own lane?

11. ripple

ripple Member

I don't get this. Are the people who post here not largely the same people that voted for this? How is this a shock?

I voted for Johnson.
    To anyone who thinks Johnson just "sits on his ass," well, you're just fucking clueless. There is a case to be made for those that argue he has certain inherent advantages with his team. After all, they did finish 1, 2 and 3.

But this is far more about the last four years than just the last year. FOUR YEARS. I still have trouble believing it, and I was there when he all but clinched it.

12. spnited

spnited Active Member

No. For the most part, not a lot of people vote for these things.

Draft saved Draft deleted