1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

AP Male Athlete of the Year, 2009: Jimmie Johnson

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 2muchcoffeeman, Dec 21, 2009.

1. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Or the hundreds/thousands of guys who have run in NASCAR who haven't won four straight championships...ever?

2. 2underpar

2underpar Active Member

why do any of you care who the AP male athlete of the year is?

3. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Including the marquee name who finished, what, 25th?

I suppose they only real athletes are those incredibly well-conditioned men and women of the stick-and-ball sports.

[​IMG]

4. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

I'm not going to knock drivers as non athletes, because that is a bullshit argument, to be able to put up with the G-forces, the the heat and have the endurance, coordination and agility to drive in any top level racing league you do have to be a pretty good athlete.

However, to me this is almost a career recognition for Jimmie Johnson.

When you look at the year straight up as I think it should be for Athlete of the Year awards, then the award should go to Usain Bolt. I am still trying to wrap my head around by how much he dropped the world record, even if it wasn't an Olympic year, you could argue that it is even more remarkable considering it was his own Olympic record that he had just set that he had crushed. He was untouchable all year.

With Jimmie Johnson you have a better argument for Athlete of the Decade, except that he runs smack dab into Tiger and again its no competition.

5. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Absolutely no argument from me here.

6. Public School

Public School New Member

I agree that Bolt should have won it.

7. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

They didn't have his car.

8. Simon_Cowbell

Yep.... this is a Lord of the Rings special

9. Double J

Double J Active Member

The guy who co-owns Johnson's car is, in his own right, one of the best drivers in NASCAR history. He runs the same equipment on his own car - and has finished sixth, second, seventh and third over the past four years.

10. Simon_Cowbell

I think that more makes my point than doesn't.

11. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

On the other hand, that big guy is doing more than just sitting on his ass and making the occasional left turn.

12. Drip

Drip Active Member

Three things hurt Bolt. 1, He's Black. 2, He's Jamican. 3, He's a track and Field performer.
    Just sayin what Whitlock might write.

Draft saved Draft deleted