1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

AP layoffs starting today?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Nola4520, Nov 17, 2009.

1. SnoopyBoy

SnoopyBoy Member

And it's been Memphis for quite a long time. Wow.

2. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

This is not a "bitch about the AP" thread, folks. People are losing jobs. We have about two billion (mostly unnecessary threads) ripping the AP. Let's not add to it here.

3. tmr

tmr Member

Very true, and I'm a huge AP defender. Here's the updated list of layoffs from Gawker. Some foreign positions eliminated in Middle East, Vietnam and San Juan.

http://gawker.com/5406699/the-ap-layoff-list

4. ScribePharisee

ScribePharisee New Member

If these are these biz writers whose stories appear on Yahoo! about gas prices and the economy, sheesh, I hate to hear anyone lose their jobs but those stories were nothing more than parroting industry lies and manipulations. P.R. people from the lying industries will take those jobs over...hell they can lie without passing it to a second party.

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I'm just keeping my fingers crossed that no one in sports is let go.

6. spnited

spnited Active Member

Followed by:

Brilliant, as usual ::)

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I really worry about those who have the national jobs in sports. You have to figure that once they get around to sports, those will be the first to go.

8. ScribePharisee

ScribePharisee New Member

Every company has its people who bust their butts, and others who don't.

And of course, this board, courtesy of spnited, continues to drift far from journalism merits, particularly in the respect toward first amendment principles and the sharing of ideas contrary to the politburo tactics.

9. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Gawker has said the Jacksonville, Fla., bureau has been closed, and that the beat guy of 30+ years has been laid off. I'm assuming that means Ron Word, who did pretty much everything, including sports. If I'm right or wrong and anybody knows, post it here.

10. SCEditor

SCEditor Active Member

So wait a second, South Carolina doesn't have a full-time photographer anymore? That's just swell.

11. Karl Hungus

Karl Hungus Member

In my part of the world, Roanoke, Va's AP reporter was canned as well. Future of that bureau up in the air as well.

12. Max Mercy

Max Mercy Member

Maybe I'm being naive and stupid, but I'd think sports would be relatively safe. A lot of papers are switching to the new AP Limited package, but keeping the full sports add-on because smaller papers can get away with less Nation/World copy but not less NFL/NBA/MLB/NHL/College roundups and agate. The way AP is restructuring its packages (to prevent papers from dropping them altogether), sports is going to be its biggest cash cow.

Draft saved Draft deleted