1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

AP: Jim Calhoun to retire

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MileHigh, Sep 12, 2012.

1. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

News conference Tuesday. Assistant Kevin Ollie expected to be promoted.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/story/20167327/ap-source-uconn-coach-jim-calhoun-retiring

2. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

They'll have to screw him into the ground when he's buried.

3. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Coward... not a Calhoun fan here; his leaving just before the season he can;t go to the NCAA tourney because of his team's shitty APR is reenforcement to me.

4. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

He should have done this a couple of years ago. He's had health issues and he's been long past the point where he coached because he still had something to prove. Why should a guy in his upper 60s have to worry about trying to sweet-talk an 18-year-old recruit into playing for him? Go enjoy the rest of the years you have left.

5. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

He won a title in 2011. You could make the case he should've retired after that, but he's always said he'd go with the Dean Smith model of retiring right before the start of a season.

6. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

I covered UConn for the AP in the mid '80s, so I was there in '86 when Dom Perno was let go and Calhoun was hired. I recall joking with him about how difficult it was to take good notes because he spoke so fast during our telephone interviews. I liked the guy because he genuinely cared about his athletes with a kind of semi-tough love that I considered appropriate, certainly at that time and place. No doubt he transformed the school's athletic program over the years. I wish him luck.

7. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

Good luck Jim. Great coach, transformed Storrs (and trust me, there's nothing in Storrs) into a place the players wanted to go, and they wanted to play for him.

And always involved in a great deal of charity work in the area.

8. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

They should hire Geno to replace him just for the joy of having Calhoun at the press conference.

9. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Cheater. Let's forget the lionizing, lest we forget what they just went through in Happy Valley. (I am not equating the circumstances.)

10. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Yes, because as ever-vigilant and intrepid journalists we cannot ever stop to credit a good guy on the day of his retirement for doing a good job over a long period lest we find out sometime in the future that his transgressions went far beyond failing to maintain "an atmosphere of compliance" with NCAA recruiting rules.

*I don't do emoticons otherwise I'd put the one rolling its eyes here.

11. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I am just glad that Tyler Hansbrough and North Carolina saved the world for all that is good and right in 2009.

12. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

If that's your test, then proceed with the accolades.

Draft saved Draft deleted