1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

AP: Jerry Falwell has died.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by wickedwritah, May 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Actually, I wouldn't be surprised if a great many obits contain those kinds of statements, which he did in fact make. The man made a life of saying things like that. As "decent a guy" as people say he was, he said way too many things like those at the wrong times and influenced way too many people into thinking that way for me to memorialize him with fond memories.

2. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

We'll agree to disagree. Not a personal favorite of mine with some of his views, yet at the same time I don't believe rejoicing over his death or drudging up the inflammatory rhetoric will bring about anything positive.

3. Sxysprtswrtr

Sxysprtswrtr Active Member

RIP. Have quite a few Liberty-schooled friends and they worship(ped) the guy.

4. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

I hope the journalists who write his obit include it all.

No one, with the exception of Sportsbruh, is rejoicing.

I think the man was terribly flawed. Doesn't mean I'm happy he's dead.

5. Appgrad05

Appgrad05 Active Member

There's something to be said about a man who draws a line in the sand and holds to his convictions when the desert is moving the opposite way.

6. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

One anti-semite spreading intolerance and hate down. 2,999,999,999 to go.

7. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Aside from sportsburp, I don't see anyone here 'rejoicing.'

But to many, the 'inflammatory rhetoric' is his legacy....AIDS as God's punishment for homosexuality....9/11 as God's punishment for a sinful culture....beware of the purple Teletubby lest it coerce your child to a life of homosexuality.

For all the 'good' he may have done for a certain sector of the population, he was also a fountain of intolerance and prejudice.

8. finishthehat

finishthehat Active Member

I don't have feelings one way or the other -- everyone obviously has to go sometime -- but at least now he knows a) if God exists, and b) if He does, what He thinks about Falwell's version of Christianity.

9. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

No one is rejoicing over his death, wicked. I actually haven't seen any of that on this thread. But it's fair to be honest about what he believed and what he represented.

10. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

I'm pretty sure the apartheid connection and the 9/11 and Jewish antichrist comments will make their way into a regulation-sized obit.

11. Sportsbruh

Sportsbruh Member

Correction!!!!

No one with the EXCEPTION of Sportsbruh got the timidity to voice his true disposition.

12. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

That's fair... I was speaking more in generalities.

Everyone knows his legacy, 21. Do we need to rehash the (IMO) stupid, insensitive, invective things he said? He was a polarizing figure, and a person's thoughts on his life probably won't be affected by rehashing the comment resume.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.