1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

AP: Jerry Falwell has died.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by wickedwritah, May 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

CNN is airing parts of an interview he gave to Christiane Amanpour last week.

2. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Former Browns coach Sam Rutigiliano coached at Liberty after the NFL.

3. BigRed

BigRed Active Member

Like many others, I can't agree with many, if any of his stances, but RIP. And I'm sure this is a hard day for Lynchburg and Liberty University, so I hope they are doing well.

4. boots

boots New Member

Sam and Yankees legend Bobby Richardson were major reasons why the Liberty athletic program began to pick up notice. They were God-fearing men and really believed that Liberty could be a force athleticallly.

5. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Is the Antichrist "alive and here today?" Falwell asked his parishioners and millions of viewers who see the service broadcast by television and radio during Sunday morning services at his Lynchburg, Va., church.

"Probably," he said, "because when he appears during the tribulation period he will be a full-grown counterfeit of Christ. Of course he'll be Jewish."

6. dog428

dog428 Active Member

The pleasure some people take in the misfortunes of others is more than a little sad.

I don't know how somebody like Falwell dying can make anybody happy. A child molester, a murderer -- I could see there being some joy in their deaths. But Rev. Jerry Falwell? Come on. So you didn't share the guy's beliefs, BFD. He was still, by all accounts, a pretty decent human being.

Is this how bitter we've become -- that we celebrate the deaths of those who we disagree with? If so, I don't want to live here anymore.

7. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

8. boots

boots New Member

Look. We all have to go. It's just unfortunate that there are assholes, many of whom troll on these threads, who think everything is a damn joke.

9. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

I didn't agree with nearly any of what he said, but by all accounts of what I've read and those I know who dealt with him, he was not a bad person.

RIP, Rev. Falwell.

10. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Isn't that in the Christian Gospel, that the Antichrist is Jewish? Falwell didn't break any new ground with that Revelation.

11. Stuff that won't be in the obit, thanks to Mr. Google.

In the 1980s Jerry Falwell was an outspoken supporter of the Apartheid regime in South Africa. When president PW Botha was elected President by the White South African minority, Reverend Falwell went to South Africa and made statements supporting the government there and urging American Christians to buy Krugerrands, a coin issued by the South African Government. He drew the ire of many when he called Nobel Peace Prize winner and Anglican Archbishop Desmond Tutu a phony. He later apologized for that remark and claimed that he had misspoken.

Falwell has asserted that when The Antichrist ("The Beast") comes, he "must be, of necessity, a Jewish male."

After the September 11, 2001, attacks Falwell said on the 700 Club, "I really believe that the pagans, and the abortionists, and the feminists, and the gays and the lesbians who are actively trying to make that an alternative lifestyle, the ACLU, People For the American Way, all of them who have tried to secularize America. I point the finger in their face and say 'you helped this happen.'" (a sentiment with which Robertson concurred).

"AIDS is the wrath of a just God against homosexuals."

1994-1995: Falwell is criticized for using his "Old Time Gospel Hour" to hawk a video called "The Clinton Chronicles" that makes a number of unsubstantiated charges against President Bill Clinton--among them that he is a drug addict and that he arranged the murders of political enemies in Arkansas. Despite claims he had no ties to the project, evidence surfaced that Falwell helped bankroll the venture with $200,000 paid to a group called Citizens for Honest Government (CHG). CHG's Pat Matrisciana later admitted that Falwell and he staged an infomercial interview promoting the video in which a silhouetted reporter said his life was in danger for investigating Clinton. (Matrisciana himself posed as the reporter.) "That was Jerry's idea to do that," Matrisciana recalled. "He thought that would be dramatic."

November 1997: Falwell accepts $3.5 million from a front group representing controversial Korean evangelist Sun Myung Moon to ease Liberty University's financial woes.

Voltaire: "...To the dead, one owes only the truth."
    RIP, indeed.

12. He's dead?????????????
    How can that be??????
    He must have been gay.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.