1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

AP: Jerry Falwell has died.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by wickedwritah, May 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Please, no jokes. No matter what one may think of his personal stances, last thing you want to see someone drop.

LYNCHBURG, Va. (AP) -- The Rev. Jerry Falwell was found unconscious in his office Tuesday and taken to the hospital, a Liberty University executive told a newspaper.

Ron Godwin, the executive vice president of the school, told The News & Advance of Lynchburg that Falwell was found unconscious after missing an appointment Tuesday morning. Falwell arrived at Lynchburg General Hospital around noon, the newspaper reported on its Web site.

When contacted by The Associated Press, Godwin said he couldn't talk at that time.

2. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Re: Jerry Falwell found unconscious.

There are many people I would like to see drop, Falwell is not one of them.

3. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

I hope he's OK.

4. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

MSNBC says he's in "serious" condition.

5. Sportsbruh

Sportsbruh Member

GOOD RIDDENCE!!!!

6. Hustle

Hustle Guest

CNN says CPR was administered...

Man, that's not sounding good.

7. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

One of the best Army officers I've met in my career graduated from Liberty. We once talked about Falwell, and the lieutenant's reply was, "He has the best intentions in the world and one of the best hearts. He just has a really big mouth and a foot that matches, most of the time."

8. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

What a surprise.

I may not agree with a lot of what he stands for, but I hope he gets back on his feet.

9. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

AP: Jerry Falwell in "gravely serious" condition.

LYNCHBURG, Va. (AP) _ The Rev. Jerry Falwell was hospitalized in "gravely serious" condition after being found unconscious in his office Tuesday, a Liberty University executive said. Ron Godwin, the executive vice president of Falwell's Liberty University, said Falwell was found unresponsive around 10:45 a.m. and taken to Lynchburg General Hospital. Godwin said he was not sure what caused the collapse, but "he has a history of heart challenges."

10. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

The blue-dot crowd in my office is already planning a little party for when he dies.

Never a big fan myself, and he found himself on the wrong side of a disagreement with one of my cultural anti-heroes: Larry Flynt. Well, it did keep the lawyers busy.

But, other than Osama and maybe Eric Rudolph (and that zither guy on TV, and maybe one former sports editor I once worked for), I try not to take much pleasure from the suffering of others.

11. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

I guess I can understand that, when Farakan dies, I plan on wearing a bow tie and eating a ham sandwich

12. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

LYNCHBURG, Va. (AP) - The Rev. Jerry Falwell was hospitalized in "gravely serious" condition after being found unconscious Tuesday in his office at Liberty University, a school executive said.

Ron Godwin, the university's executive vice president, said Falwell, 73, was found unresponsive around 10:45 a.m. and taken to Lynchburg General Hospital. Godwin said he was not sure what caused the collapse, but he said Falwell "has a history of heart challenges."

"I had breakfast with him, and he was fine at breakfast," Godwin said. "He went to his office, I went to mine, and they found him unresponsive."

Godwin said Falwell was receiving emergency care. A hospital spokeswoman said she had "no information to release at this time."

Falwell, a television evangelist who founded the Moral Majority, became the face of the religious right in the 1980s. He later founded the conservative Liberty University and serves as its president.

Falwell survived two serious health scares in early 2005. He was hospitalized for two weeks with what was described as a viral infection, then was hospitalized again a few weeks later after going into respiratory arrest. Later that year, doctors found a 70 percent blockage in an artery, which they opened with stents.

Liberty University's commencement is scheduled for Saturday, with former U.S. House Speaker Newt Gingrich as the featured speaker.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.