1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

AP intern found dead in elevator shaft in Mexico City

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Frank_Ridgeway, Jul 1, 2012.

1. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

He was 22. "Circumstances being investigated."

http://hosted2.ap.org/txdam/633c954da7d9434f9de7ed15f38075aa/Article_2012-07-01-Mexico-Obit-Montano/id-c25f96125dc64f998d5b3c443da14abd

2. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

3. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Wow. He's from Colorado Springs and also did an internship at the NYT. His parents teach at Colorado College.

4. dpfunk78

dpfunk78 Guest

This is awful.

Being from Colorado Springs, I hope his family didn't lose their house this week, also.

5. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

This is terrible. My condolences to his family, and like dpfunk said Colorado Springs has been a hot spot this week too (no pun intended, please!) so I hope everything is all right on the property and home front.

6. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Rough week in the Springs. Over the weekend, there was an accident in Wyoming that killed three Scout teenagers and a Scout leader who were from Woodland Park, which is near the Springs.

7. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Damn, that's awful.

8. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

Horrible news.

9. turski7

turski7 Member

Agreed, this is terrible. Looked like this kid had a bright future too.
    I wonder if this kid had worked on any stories involving the cartels. They have a habit of killing journalists who report "negatively" about their actions (if you want to call it that).

10. ColdCat

ColdCat Well-Known Member

That was my first thought too, but it was my understanding the cartels were operating mostly in the north, in cities near the US border. If they are going after journalists as far south as Mexico City they are expanding their reach.

11. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

Other reports online say he was choked to death.

12. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

They aren't expanding their reach. They're already there.

Mexico City has never been immune to organized crime.

Reading his obit, maybe his death had something to do with this:

During his time in the bureau, Montano covered stories including ... the shooting of three federal policemen at the Mexico City airport.

Draft saved Draft deleted