1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

AP hockey captions

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Cape_Fear, Oct 10, 2006.

1. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Yeah, we've bitched about that to AP, and the latest thing about "during a National Hockey League game" and "in an NFL football game" too. Their explanation is same as above.

Just cut that crap. If your cutline is more than 3 lines deep and it's a 2-col art, the cutline's too long.

By the way, "Kevorkian" means "son of Kevork" in Armenian. You're welcome.

2. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Must have a hell of time getting their uniforms on.

3. EE94

EE94 Guest

The whomever would be Maple Leafs dud, Nik Antropov

4. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

Why are the cutline writers typing in word for word what AP photogs have on the cutline? They make so many mistakes and, as in this case, words that have no business in the cutline anyway.

5. DyePack

DyePack New Member

Give me a D. Give me an E. Give me an S. Give me an I. Give me a G. Give me an N.

What's that spell?

6. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Dye, please lay off the design rant. This has nothing to do with design. I'm a designer. Something like this getting in the paper comes down to sheer laziness, nothing more.

7. DyePack

DyePack New Member

Laziness spawned from the attitude of drawing boxes and viewing text as something to fill in the box that was drawn.

8. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Well, there's lazy people in newsrooms all across America. Designers haven't cornered the market on that one.

9. DyePack

DyePack New Member

My opinion may be somewhat colored by the newsroom where AP cutlines were dragged into a text box word-for-word EVERY NIGHT, and then every night I would cross off the same stupid shit.

These people were not hired for their editing skills. That leaves either their sparkling personalities, or well, you know.

10. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

You've had bad experiences with stupid, lazy designers. Fair enough. Just trying to point out that we're not all the devil.

11. DyePack

DyePack New Member

And those are the people who should be dealing with the skewed priorities that have taken hold.

Instead, they embrace them. It's easier to do that, and it replaces objective standards with subjective ones. It's much easier to use subjective standards as a club because you can always change them to suit your whims.

Draft saved Draft deleted