1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

AP hiring in Tennessee, Kentucky

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by JayFarrar, Jun 30, 2012.

1. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Tennessee
    http://tbe.taleo.net/NA9/ats/careers/requisition.jsp?org=AP&cws=38&rid=2397

Kentucky
    http://tbe.taleo.net/NA9/ats/careers/requisition.jsp?org=AP&cws=38&rid=2396

Knoxville and Lexington respectively. Tennessee would include the pro teams in Nashville and Memphis. Or at least help, as I assume Teresa will still be kicking it in Nashvegas. Knoxville gig also included lots of news mixed in, but beats me if it will stay that way.

Pretty good gigs though. If anyone gets the Kentucky job, be sure to remember me on the referral bonus.

2. CarlSpackler

CarlSpackler Active Member

This seems a bit batty to me... Memphis is like two times closer to Little Rock than it is to Knoxville. How often could they possibly ask you to drive six hours to cover stuff?

3. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

They don't. Nashville picks up the Grizzlies coverage. This job is probably 95% UT, although Beth Harris did pitch in when Kentucky was shorthanded at the end of hoops season.

4. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Did Beth Harris leave AP?

5. LitteringAnd

LitteringAnd Member

I think everyone is talking about Beth Rucker. Beth Rucker, indeed, did leave AP a couple months ago. She was the Knoxville writer. Beth Harris, on the other hand, is still in Los Angeles, far as I can tell.

6. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

I hate being old and out of the business. Next i'll forget my slugs.

7. Central-KY-Kid

Central-KY-Kid Well-Known Member

In case you missed it:

AP names Gary Graves sports writer for Kentucky
    Aug. 20, 2012, 3:35 p.m. EDT
    AP

LOUISVILLE, Ky. (AP) — Gary Graves, a former sports writer with USA Today, has been named The Associated Press sports writer for Kentucky.

The appointment was announced Monday by South Regional Sports Editor Oscar Dixon.

Graves will be based in Lexington and responsible for sports coverage across the Commonwealth, including the University of Kentucky, the University of Louisville and the Kentucky Derby.

Graves was part of USA Today's team that covered the Saints bounty scandal and played a major role in the newspaper's coverage of the NFL lockout. His other beats included motor sports, hockey and Major League Baseball.

"AP has found an experienced reporter and writer to take on this important beat to serve members and readers in Kentucky," said Teresa Wasson, AP's news editor for Kentucky and Tennessee.

Graves' previously covered college sports, golf and soccer at Florida Today in Melbourne, The Orlando Sentinel, the Washington Times and The Washington Post.

8. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

Wonder if JayFarrar got the referral bonus :)

9. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Knoxville opening filled as well:

Draft saved Draft deleted