1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

AP gives managers, bureau chiefs Fournier 'talking points' memo

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by 2muchcoffeeman, Sep 2, 2008.

1. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

http://www.politico.com/blogs/michaelcalderone/0908/AP_issues_talking_points_over_Fournier.html?showall

AP needs to find him a non-political job within the wire service. Wrong guy for the job; damaged goods publicly.

2. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

"he also was considered for employment by Politico.com, the blog."

Stunning. He doesn't know what a blog is.

3. MGoBlue

MGoBlue Member

As Sherman T. Potter would say, "Mule feathers!" Not to mention, "Horse hockey!"

What crap this post is. Moddy ... ditch it.

4. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Fournier should just resign.

5. Dickens Cider

Dickens Cider New Member

Why?

6. Cadet

Cadet Guest

The AP puts out a long memo about an AP journalist? How is that not relevant to "Journalism Topics"?

7. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

::)

8. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

The Fournier debate reminds me too much of what MSNBC is dealing with regarding Olbermann and Matthews. Are they anchors or commentators. Are you putting a thumb on the scale sometimes and not others? Fournier should decide whether he wants to be the bureau chief or an analyst. These days people won't accept you as both.

9. I think Forunier is an equal-opportunity basher. But DanOregon is right. Be one or the other, not both.

10. I think Frank put it best in another post...Why, why, why does AP feel the need to go down this road? There has been an absolute explosion of opinion-oriented political writing. People can get that anywhere. They go to the AP because the AP is supposed to play it down the middle.

I think this is a losing strategy.

EDIT: I see the memo rebuts some of those points about Fournier specifically, but I was referring to what appears to be AP's new strategy of being more opinionated and provocative.

11. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Because he used to go to school w/Fournier (or something particularly relevant like that) as he announced on the first Fournier thread.

12. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Why should Fournier resign?
    He's paid to write opinion and that is what he has been doing.
    Tim Russert was Washington Bureau chief for NBC news, he also hosted Meet the Press.
    To say that people can't hold a largely ceremonial title and also be a columnist or commentator seems a little odd to me.

Draft saved Draft deleted