1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

AP gets Britney's obit ready

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by JayFarrar, Jan 17, 2008.

1. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

don't kill the messenger, bob.

2. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Yeah, one of the sj classics, in my book.

3. crusoes

crusoes Active Member

Went there, too. Also saw it. Also wish I hadn't. But it's not even in the same area code as 2 girls, one cup.

4. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

The previous time I remember hearing about a file obit was when Bob Hope "died" some time before he really did die. That caused quite a ruckus if I remember correctly. I think part of it was that some people who aren't in the business were spooked by the idea of a pre-written obit for someone.

But having said that, it makes sense to have an obit ready for any celebrity of stature. It sounds self-serving to volunteer that information to the general public.

5. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

shame on AP -- not for preparing it, but for announcing it is preparing it.

6. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

I'd be more shocked if they said they didn't have one ready. I know one department runs down a list of names every few months and will put a few together if there's the chance someone is close to dying.

7. forever_town

WFW

8. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

AP is announcing it is preparing an obit on a 26 year old -- and it isn't Aim-ee Wine-house?

9. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

But they didn't announce it, they responded in a truthful manner toa question posed to them by a publication. Would you prefer that they lie about it?

10. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

"We choose not to reveal who we have obituaries prepared for in order to show respect for the families and not to feed the potential for rumors and innuendo."

11. forever_town

They could have answered the question in general terms by saying it's standard practice to prepare pre-fab obituaries for just about all celebrities or all celebrities who look like they're one wrong move away from an early grave. They didn't have to answer so specifically in Britney's case.

12. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

Bingo.

Draft saved Draft deleted